In Car Cam Swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Has anyone with a big block changed the cam in the car. it looks like i wont be able to drop the oil pan down far enough to get the timing cover off. I would rather not pull the entire engine unless i have to.

Thanks

Kyle

68 Super Sport
468, 11.5:1, AFR 305cc heads, Vic Jr, ProSystems 1000, 264/[email protected], TH-400, flashes to 4800, 3.73's.
60' 1.55 (gotta work on this)
1/8 [email protected]
1/4 [email protected] 132.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 03:47 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

A big block is a lot easier to change in the car than a small block when it comes to timing covers. It will come off with a little help at the corners where the bolts from the oil pan come trough and hold the timing cover on. You of course will have to remove the big gear from the cam to remove the chain, try this little trick when it comes time to remove the old cam and install the new one.

Put the big timing gear back on the cam. Installing it with one bolt will be fine. Lightly pull on the gear and it will bring the cam out. Work slowly to avoid damaging the cam bearings. Now install the gear on your new cam, apply your lube. Spray a little WD40 down the cam hole in the block aiming at the cam bearings and very slowly install your new cam. Use both hands and keep a little lube on you hand that is guiding the cam and/or try only touching it on the spaces between the lobes. This will keep as much lube as possible on your cam.

This might sound like overkill to some but this method has worked well for me. Knock on wood but over the years of messing with cars and engines I have never lost a cam. Lucky or patients? Could be both.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

The spare tire hook in the trunk makes a great cam removal tool. Just screw it into one of the big gear holes and it make a nice handle.

-Mark.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

One problem I have run into with small blocks is clearance. The radiator must come out, and even then sometimes the hood latch support brace gets in the way.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I will try it in the car, now all i have to do is pick the cam as if that was an easy choice.

Thanks

Kyle

68 Super Sport
468, 11.5:1, AFR 305cc heads, Vic Jr, ProSystems 1000, 264/[email protected], TH-400, flashes to 4800, 3.73's.
1/8 [email protected]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i just remembered i have a Gen V block and i dont know if they are any different or not. Did GM change the front when they changed to a 1 pc. rear?

Kyle

68 Super Sport
1/8 [email protected]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 04:26 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Got me on that one? Hey mark what in the heck where you doing to go get the spare tire hook! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

I never would have thought of using that for anything other than..............well on the spare tire.....

That's what I love about this site, you always learn something new, and how to add a cheap tool to your collection, now if I only had a spare tire!

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode