overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I have a 1988 camaor Iroc-z 5.0(TPI) with a 5-speed tranny. My car overheats(engine temp goes up) when I am sitting in traffic for too long(about 10 minutes), but once I start moving a little more consistently the car cools down. It's not too big of a problem but if i want to go cruising or im stuck in traffic it causes a lot of trouble I have a fan but I have to turn it on manually with a switch. I leave this fan on as soon as I start the car. I drained and replaced the coolant, bought a new radiator cap, and replaced the top radiator hose. Im gonan replace the bottom one cause it looks pretty old. I think it might have an ADS thermostat. Please let me know if you have any info on my problem. THanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech

Can you tell us how high it is going to? As I remember, part of the TPI setup in ref. to emissions has VERY high operating temps. In the dual fan set up on an IROC, the second fan does not even COME ON until 225 degrees!!

67 Camaro | 350 | 650 Speed Demon | Dual plane GMPP intake | MSD ignition | Secret Cam (I don't know what it IS!) | 2.02/1.60 Camel Humps ported | Thorley Tri-Y's | 8.5 10 bolt 3.73 | M22
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

if im sitting in traffic it will go to 220 degrees gradually but will then pick up faster after it hits the half point(220). The fan is suppose to come on at 225 but i just leave mine on constantly so i know thats not the problem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 08:25 AM

First, fix your "supposed to be automatic on and off" cooling fan(s)!!

Second, flush your cooling system if you haven't done it in a while to clean it out.

Third, add a 50/50 mixture of straight antifreeze and clean drinking water or 100 percent a new type 50/50 mix that is now being sold..

Forth, install a new thermostat and before doing so, carefully drill two, 1/8" holes in it to help "burp" all the air out of your system.. Then fill your system completely up with coolant as above...

I know, you may not have to do all or even any of this but why not start with a good system to begin with!!

And I even change all the hoses AND fan belts periodically too to make sure onna them suckers doesn't decide to pop and leave me stranded which has happened before!!!

pdq67

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 01:02 PM
a67

Make sure the air dam is in place and in decent condition. If the car has A/C or even the condensor (still), clean out the area between the A/C condensor and the radiator. Being a bottom breather this area fills with debris.

Bob.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I have flushed out the radiator and put in the already mixed 50/50. I am majoring in auto at college and its understood that the thermostat usually isnt the problem of overheating(in some cases it might) but not usually.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech

Hey Popcorn, when I posted earlier I just assumed you also had the two fan setup, is that NOT the case? The first fan comes on around 160 I believe...

Anyway, try this site as they have some GREAT info on fan setups... it's in one of the tech articles.

www.thirdgen.org

67 Camaro | 350 | 650 Speed Demon | Dual plane GMPP intake | MSD ignition | Secret Cam (I don't know what it IS!) | 2.02/1.60 Camel Humps ported | Thorley Tri-Y's | 8.5 10 bolt 3.73 | M22
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

yeah my fans are dual but i control it manually. so i just leave it on constantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode