1969 Z/28 - Engine won't run under load - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Folks, first of all thanks for all your help in answering my ongoing questions on this.

First the basics. Motor is a DZ bored 10 over, stock intake, Edelbrock 750 CFM carb chokeless, solid lifter stock cam, 480 distributor with points ignition, taylor wires and Delco 43s plugs. I am running a 50/50 mix of 106 octance Cam 2 and 94 octane pump.

Engine was running SY1, but ran like crap so switched everything to stock except carb, since Holleys are more tempermental than my wife.

Here's the problem: I timed the engine at 8 degrees (rotor pointing at 1 on Cap), vacuum advance plugged, gapped the points properly started her up and set the idle at 800-850. The timing on my dial back red 15 degrees total at idle. The engine runs cool, but sounds a little lopey (on account of the cam). When she starts she would cough twice before she smoothed out but I figured that was the compression.

Backed her into the driveway no problem. Tried to drive back in and all hell breaks loose. Under load she coughs spputters backfires and stalls. Blew a serious shot out of the carb and back towards the windo from the cowl hood (Air cleaner was off).

I pulled the distributor and checked everything again and it seems right. Checked for vacuum leaks and can't find any. One buddy says timing could be off a tooth and your adjustment range can't compensate. Another says valves could be off but I set them based on technical info I got here and checked and rechecked the valves.

I am ready to sell the damn thing and drive my low compression 72 olds which starts up and runs like a champ.

Any idea before I throw a cover over this car and forget about it? I am learning to hate this car. [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img]

Dave F.<br />1969 Z/28 Hugger Orange X33<br />1964 GTO Tri-power with current RA III YZ - Starlight Black<br />1972 Cutlass 442-Saturn Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 07:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Without a choke any engine that isn't excessively rich will talk back until it's up to operating temp. If at operating temp you still have a the same problem then you most likely have carb tuning issues.

Side note: I've witnessed a lot of guys have problems with 302's because they are too gingerly with the gas and clutch. Ya gots to be a bit agressive with that little mouse, give it some Rrr's and work the clutch a bit... It's not a '72 Olds!!

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Mine runs pretty crappy when cold as well. I usualy need a 5-10 minute warm up from dead cold engine. She runs pretty good when fully warm though.

-Mark.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech

How about the condensor...is it new? A bad condensor will make em doggy. Especially at cruising speeds. Often the engine won't rev very much past 2500-3000RPM.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by dnult:
How about the condensor...is it new? A bad condensor will make em doggy. Especially at cruising speeds. Often the engine won't rev very much past 2500-3000RPM.

I could also imagine the dwell setting causing problems. Gapping should get you pretty close though.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode