Turbo Garrett t3 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 03, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to RuskayaMafia
Question

Got the turbo but need other parts for a 1984 camaro 5.0 liter carb, any advice on which parts to buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 03, 05:20 AM
Senior Tech
John

Welcome to Team Camaro!

It is going to take a lot of fabrication and carb tuning. You're going to need some sort of blow off valve (BOV), wastegate, oil plumbing to the turbo, and an intercooler of some sort would be helpful.

You should take a look over at www.pro-touring.com and ask your question over there. Quite a few people playing with turbos on Chevy V8s.

Are you planning on just running the single turbo? Granted, I'm not a turbo expert, but from what I have read about them, the T3 is a fairly small turbo. In a single turbo application, you're going to have great spool up time for low end grunt, but I honestly don't know how much power it can support.

Good luck! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 03, 08:44 AM
DL
Senior Tech
David

Hi, welcome to the site!

I am also playing around with turbo(s) for my '67 Camaro.
A single T3 turbo will be kind of small for your application, 2 T25 or 2 T28 or 2 T3 turbos will be much more better to gain some power.
I also recomend the pro-touring website, and www.grapeaperacing.com is also a very great site for turbo V8 engines, the owner of this site is also member of this site.
The things you need is a special carb (blow-through carb) or you can probbably rebuild your current carb, you will need to make new headers (or use your current ones, but it will not look that nice....hey, it will work though ), and you will need some plumbing AND A GOOD BOOK ON TURBOCHARGING. Read before you start, just my .02 cents

Goodluck

David
'67 Camaro crossram
'67 Camaro convertible SS/RS clone project

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 03, 10:14 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Of course plan on an oil cooler and oil temp gage and more frequent oil changes. Also get the best darn waste gate gaskets you can find. I've seen these blow out and depending on the location can cause damage from the hot exhaust gases.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 03, 11:15 AM

A few more links for you...

GNTTYPE.org

Turbo Mustangs forum

Turbolocity

another good location for turbo info

These are just a few good links. The GNTTYPE.org is a great site. Tons of good info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode