I need some edjumication on Fuelie Heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 04, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Wink

ok, so I now know what my problem was on my 68. the heads have soft seats & the seats wore down to no return, the heads need to be replaced. the cost , I feel is too high so I want to buy a replacement set. the question is, what am I looking for? 194 heads or 202's?. what is the difference? what is better, 67's or 68's? what should I look for when buying replacements, what should I ask?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 04, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

oh, one more thing. the engine is a 327, original, at least it looks that way. also, are 350 fuelie heads any good? what is the best setup for me to benefit the most out of this repair
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 04, 06:13 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

If you don't have to have the original "look" and want bang for the buck go with a new set of Vortec heads. I keep milling it around and want to by 461 castings for my car but vortec heads are just a great deal. You can get them from Pro-Topline ready to bolt on for for about $750.00 with intake,valve covers,head bolts,gaskets,rocker arms and pushrods.

All in all not a bad deal. If your heads are shot and can not be reworked by the time you pay for core, hard seats and buy all new parts and pay for shop labor to build the heads your looking at an easy $500.00 and they are still used castings.

Have your heads been diagnosed as not usable? If so by who? If seats are sunk they can still be cut for hard seats if they are not sunk to fare or cracked out of the seat to fare they might be savable.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Iam lookingto do this job as inexpensive as I can. I have found heads for 100.00 for the set but not sure what valve size I ned/want. I am not looking to revamp the entire top end of the engine, plus the 327 w/fuellie heads runs like a raped ape, I do not need to ad vortex heads to make it faster. I am only looking for info on the best heads to be period correct
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech

Keep in mind that if you buy a set of used heads that haven't had hardened seats installed (to deal with unleaded gas), they'll get to be the same condition as what you have now.

If you want to keep the "right look" and there's nothing else (cracks, etc.) about your heads that make them scrap, you're probably best off to just bite the bullet and get yours redone with new seats and evertyhing. At least you know what you have. You could end up with a few sets of cheap junkyard heads that aren't in any better shape than what you have.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech

You cannot go wrong with the vortecs
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
You might try your local NAPA store or www.northernautoparts.com and look at their heads.

They come reconditioned and with a guarantee, maybe even a core charge for exchange. This would be the best route if you would like to be reasonably priced and convenient, providing you desire to stay "stock." Somehow, I don't believe this is your intention, otherwise, you wouldn't be asking about Fuelie heads.

If you do find a good set of Fuelie heads, which I doubt, Super Stockers & Stockers have them all bought, a set of heads with 2.02/1.60 sized valves won't hurt. You won't see a measurable amount of difference, all else being equal.

Vortecs are nice, but, to outfit is expensive and alotta leftover OE parts remain, intake manifold, valve covers for the most part.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Everett#2390:
Somehow, I don't believe this is your intention, otherwise, you wouldn't be asking about Fuelie heads.

why is this so hard to believe? Fuelie heads are what came off of the car, so whats so hard to believe?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 02:22 PM

Big valve -461's, or for that matter any of them were never ran on a Camaro!!

And the only "true" big valve "Fuelie" head is the -461 like you are calling it!!

But they are not very common nowadays. I have a big valve set so know what I'm talking about plus a GOOD set of big valve -291's!!

pdq67

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 04, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Question

If you want stock and original like what your"problem" heads are (at least you lead us to belive these are what you have) you first need to find out what you have. After doing this get a second opinion on what is wrong with them and how much it will cost to repair them fully or as you have stated "the cheapest" just do what needs to be done job.

If they are junk and they are 202 heads and they are "fuellie" heads you looking at about $650.00 after paying core and buying parts to build them and they are still used.

You need to do some more investigation on what you have, then think about what you want. After that you need to ask about which heads will be right for what you truly need and desire. I belive in short that's what Everett was telling you. That is why some have suggested vortecs, for the money they are hard to beat. For the orginal look they are unasseptable. So to give you best guess on heads I would say look for 461's and you will be spending upwards to $650.00 on them. If the $100.00 set of heads you found are 461's you should buy them. That is way cheap. If they are 461's you have found a person that does not know what they have, the heads are junk and know you don't know what your and are ready to take your money or they are just giving you a great deal on a set of heads.

If they anything but 461's you better know what you looking at. Casting numbers and chamber sizes can really screw things up for you, IE; buying a set of 305 or 283 heads. you will end up being very [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img] and could have bought vortec's cheaper in the long run.

Joe
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 04, 06:14 AM

Joe,

I was pleasantly supprised after I cc'd my old set of 305HO, -601 heads b/c they cc'ed at 160+ cc intake ports and below 55 cc chambers!! (Perfect for my little 283 motor, imho..)....

Plus, the -601's have a more rounded double-hump chamber shape instead of the more common "squared-off" smog chamber shape...

I showed them to Travis and he liked them too..

Heck, I was expecting 58 to 60 cc chambers and 150 to 155 cc intake ports..... Maybe I got a good set, who knows??

pdq67

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 04, 04:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Paul,
It seems these days any heads with the infamous "double-hump" casting mark on em are reffered to as "fuely" heads.

The original heads on a Camaro 327-275 4bbl motor did in fact have this mark. The casting # ends in 493 (I think?) for a '67 or 68. The '68 heads have a tapped hole for the temp sender, '67's don't. These heads had 1.94" intake valves and 64cc chambers.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 04, 04:36 AM
Senior Tech

There are 2 461 castings, 461 and 461X. I have a set of 461s in the garage off my 327 that are in great shape.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 04, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Virgil

Paul,
I believe any good machine shop can install the seats for you. My 3927186 casting, "double humps" "Camel humps" "Fuelies" or whatever anyone wants to call them, came factory with 2.02/1.6 valves, and I ran them until the exhaust valves had beat the seats clean out.
Local machine shop charged $12 a seat to change them.
Virgil
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 04, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

VR1967-thanks for the info but the machine shops in my area gave me prices from 400-450 complete w/new valves. I have found a set that have already been rebuilt 7 seats installed, I paid 225 for them. I will be receiving them soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode