Gear drive anyone? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am getting in the final stages of gathering parts together for the 383. My question is this. I would like to run a gear drive in it to give it that whiny sound, but I dont want anything that is WAY to loud and annoying. I would like something that you can hear when you meet me driving down main street. Does anyone have a gear drive, and if so what kind and do you like it?

Aaron
69 Hugger Orange Z wanna be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 04, 06:29 PM

Quote:
.....but I dont want anything that is WAY to loud and annoying
Well, stop right there. This depends on what you think is loud or annoying. I ran a Cloyes right after I yanked the Pete Jackson....because the PJ was so loud that it made the drive thru people at In-N-Out go deaf after two or three times thru the drive thru itself. Although, it was kinda funny to watch them reach for the 'talk' button and then just about jump out of their skin when they did.

I liked the Cloyes much better, from a volume standpoint but from an adjustability point as well. Something to consider.....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 02:30 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I had a Pete Jackson in one of my small blocks. It had a very slight (not loud at all) whine to it below 2000rpm. At about 2500rpm the whine would completely go away. I had the most quiet mufflers I could find installed on the car and the gear drive was still hard to hear.
In compairison, my buddy bought one for his car and you could hear that darn gear drive 2 blocks away! You could not stand to be in the car for very long.
I really don't know what the difference was.

68 Camaro, 555 big block, Doug Nash 5-speed, 3.54 gear.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech

I would really reconsider a gear drive. I've always toyed with the idea, but a couple weeks ago, another Camaro pulled up to a Starbucks...
MAN! I couldn't stand to HEAR him as a bystander, and if I DROVE it I would be insane in about a day. I'll ask him next time I see him what type it was, so you can at least avoid that unit if you are determined.

67 Camaro | 350 | 650 Speed Demon | Dual plane GMPP intake | MSD ignition | Secret Cam (I don't know what it IS!) | 2.02/1.60 Camel Humps ported | Thorley Tri-Y's | 8.5 10 bolt 3.73 | M22
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 04:02 AM
Tech Team

Angry

I have a Pete Jackson in my 69Z and I love it. Not too loud but just loud enough to point out that my engine is a little different. Of course the Super 40's and the Duntov rumble tell the ricer crowd that this ain't no efi burner!

What's funny sometimes is the kids who ask what kind of blower I'm running!

69 Z28 DZ 302, M21, Rallye Green<br /><br />71 Pontiac Firebird TransAm, LS6 454, Turbo 400<br /><br />86 Buick Grand National <br /><br />03 Subaru Outback
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 04:46 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Good for scaring ricers -LOL!

True.

I had one years ago but gave it away with an engine I sold to a buddy. Makes a sound like you are out of power steering fluid. I went to the stock type look so it doesn't fit the image anymore. I doubt I would run one again. In a way it is kind of like "I had an extra $100 so I bought this gear drive instead of stickers". [img]tongue.gif[/img]

JMO [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

iet" Pete Jackson, I think you will get the sound you are looking for. They are not overly loud at all. The "Noisey" Pete Jackson is very loud. I have had both in the past (on several engines). I prefer the quiet but, the loud didn't really bother me too much either. There is definetly a difference. You will find people either love them or hate them and have strong opinions either way. It's your car so do what makes you happy. If you want the slight sound you should go with the quiet PJ and follow the directions when installing it.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I realize that eveyone has diffrent taste, but from eveyone I talk to it is the luck of the draw. I have a couple friends that have the same drive in a Monte and one in a Nova and they sound totally diffrent. Maybe I will try the quiet PJ, thanks guys.

Aaron
69 Hugger Orange Z wanna be.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech

I put a Pete Jackson noisy drive in my friend's 69 396 Chevelle with the stock steel timing cover. VERY loud. I put the same type drive in his new 461 with a Comp Cams two piece aluminum cover. Much quieter. Apparently the aluminum deadens the sound. I couldn't stand it before, he loved it. I like it now, he wishes it was louder. To each his own I guess.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

12run you are exactly right the thin sheetmetal covers just amplify the sound. My last gear drive was behind a aluminum cover and it was the "quiet" version, sounded real nice not too loud at all. The "LOUD" gear drives are just that LOUD they sound like they are cruching rocks, the quiet ones sound different, not only quieter.

It is not luck of the draw it is clearances (some determined by how you install it).

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 02:33 PM
Senior Tech

get a flex fan, those have the same affect...

<a href="http://atlas.walagata.com/w/artfuldodgerv2/AAAA0017.JPG" target="_blank">68 RS</a> : 383, performer RPM heads, Victor Jr. Intake, Holley 780 DP, Crower 224HR232, 700R4 trans, 4.56:1 10 bolt. - driven every day
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 04, 03:03 PM

I've got a Milodon gear drive on my 427 and the
only time you here it is during breaking from
3000 rpm down to idle, or put another way, rapid
deceleration.This is NOT your typical everyday
street driver situation though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode