ENGINE REBUILD - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I have an 84 Z28 with the stock 305. I am doing a complete engine rebuild and i need some help on optomizing performance. I am putting in a power plus in take manifold, a proform distributor, crane cams energizer cam with new lifters, and the other little odds and ends i am getting in the rebuild kit. I am getting it bored .30 over also. Right now all that it has is a holley 650 double pumper carb, msd helicore wire, and bosch platinum dual prong spark plugs. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 11:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm.... a 383?

(edit) sorry, couldn't help myself... but seriously, if it's not too late $ wise, the best thing to do with that 305 is dump it in favor of a stroked 350....

If it is too late, get heads.... I wouldn't know what to recommend that will work with that lil bitty bore size tho...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

well i am running on a very limited amount of money and i basically just want it as a back and forth driver with a little bit of muscle. I had actually already thought about the 383 or hell even the 350, but the fact still remains that i am running on about 1000 dollars and i would need to get brand new everything for the 350, or the 383, now you see my dilemma

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 12:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

that is a dilema... big issue with 305's is breathing. The stock heads have tiny chambers and nail head size valves which might be the only thing that'll fit in the bore anyway...

What you've layed out is good and reasonable, considering funds...but still... have you looked at a parts store type rebuilt 350? If you can squeeze $1500, you can get a long block (stock rebuild) and a better cam, everything else you have will bolt onto it until you get more $

Heck, how about a boneyard 350 from a pickup?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

if any of you know where to get just a 350 block with heads for a pretty good price (not burning my hand off when i put my hand into my empty pocket)please let me know. I am frustrated enough has it is with this car. Wont a 350 burn up the gears in the rear and destroy my tranny (th700r4)?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 01:43 PM
Retired
Jim

lets toss this into Engine section, maybe more ideas there can pop up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 04, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Search back issues of either Chevy Hi Perf or Car Craft. They were doing a build up on a 305. I think they managed to get like 330 hp(flywheel hp) out of it, with out any power adders. They also tried to keep it on a working mans budget too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 04, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Well i got some good news, i found a chevy 350 off of an old jeep, the only thing that is not coming with it is the carb, the spark plug wires, spark plugs, starter and flywheel. He is selling it for 450. I am going to check it out to see if it is any good, got any ideas for power out of that, and please keep in mind that if i do buy it i am still working on about 700 to 800 dollars.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 05:13 AM

Cool

This is what I have planned for the L69 305 in a 85 Z28 that I am fixing up for my son , you can supposedly get 350 to around 400 horse out of a 305 , I dont know but it sounds like it would work and I intend on doing it this winter, let me know what ya think eh,
High volume High pressure oil pump.

change the 5.7rods to 350 light weight 6in rods

go with a true "flat" top piston. Machine for 0 deck clearace

Have the pistons top ring come as close as you can to the top of the bore

Select a moderate "roller camshaft" and lifter set. A roller set will give you about 45 more horsepower over stock.

Run a "true" double roller timing chain or even get the gear set

Hardend pushrods

roller rockers

Stock 305 heads have a 58cc combustion chamber cut it down to about 52-54cc and install 202 valves. Nothing bigger because you haven't got the piston size to run the larger valves.

Run a quality intake. Holley or Edlebrock. Opinions vary

Run a good 750 carb. Adjust jet size accordingly

Run a good quality "hot" coil to burn the extra fuel

Have a set of headers on it
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 04, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech

I know some people that had the same $ problem and needed an engine in a hurry. They went to all the car dealers and found a Xutt-ugly car with a fairly decent engine. They talked the dealer down to $500. They had everything they needed to switch to a 350 and SOLD the leftovers to the salvage yard. You might consider this option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode