Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 15, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Send a message via MSN to 19HoosierDaddies67
350 Engine ID

Hello All,

I came up on this brand new crate motor and I am wondering if it can be confirmed to be a ZZ4 and if not what it is. I searched a lot of previous threads but not all questions were answered so i figured a new thread would be easiest to get all the answers together. I have a 67 Vert with original numbers motor. Would like to put this in temporarily until i rebuild the original. Thanks in advance for your help.

Engine front pad # V03016CB
Block Ink stamp # 6A0591808
Casting # 10243880
Crate number 12555311
Head # outside 14680
Head # Inside 10088113 and 5025
Intake # 10185063

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7329.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	118449  

1967 Convertible Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Cool Runnin Camaros:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 15, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage
Re: 350 Engine ID

Looks like you may have the real deal...

10243880 = 95-00 Gen 1 crate motor / ZZ4, roller cam
10088113 = Aluminum, 58cc, angled plugs, 1.94"/1.5" valves
V03016CB = V-Flint, 0301-March 1st, not sure about 6CB. Maybe truck engine

Someone else may chime in

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 15, 04:48 PM
Apprentice
Matthew

mine had a big sticker on the oil pan pass side that said ZZ4

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 15, 10:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Mine had a sticker on the front of the valve cover

Plugs were Delco MR43LTS

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 15, 10:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: 350 Engine ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19HoosierDaddies67 View Post
Hello All,

I came up on this brand new crate motor and I am wondering if it can be confirmed to be a ZZ4 and if not what it is. I searched a lot of previous threads but not all questions were answered so i figured a new thread would be easiest to get all the answers together. I have a 67 Vert with original numbers motor. Would like to put this in temporarily until i rebuild the original. Thanks in advance for your help.

Engine front pad # V03016CB
Block Ink stamp # 6A0591808
Casting # 10243880
Crate number 12555311
While the 'crate' may indicate a "ZZ4", the 'other' numbers would leave me very suspicious ...

The Suffix and casting indicate a mid/late 90's industrial/marine/crate unit.
The 'V' and assembly date have already been provided, but the "6CB" assembly 'state-of-tune' coding indicates a 1996 Marine RH (rotation) carb'd 350ci w/Aluminum heads as indicated.
The 'Block Ink Stamp' also indicates a 1996 sourced unit from production group 'A'. With the rest of the info being the shift/group and sequence it was assembled as.

'Best Guess' at this point ... would be someone bought a brand-new ski/wakeboard boat and wanted a 'better' performance delta - thus they purchased a ZZ unit and swapped out the original 'boat-motor' ...
Or ... someone at the original dealer stocking this pulled a fast one - the crate tops lift off and are easy to interchange, just sayin'

I will add that ALL of the ZZ units I've had the pleasure to purchase, install and work on were CLEARLY marked with 'ZZ' stickers for state-of-tune AND had the 'ZZ' level (e.g. - ZZ3 or ZZ4) stamped as part of the Suffix (in this case it would be V0301ZZ4 ... if it was a ZZ4 ...).

Hope some of this helps and you can investigate further before you pay ZZ price for a boat 350 (@330HP btw).

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 15, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
While the 'crate' may indicate a "ZZ4", the 'other' numbers would leave me very suspicious ...

The Suffix and casting indicate a mid/late 90's industrial/marine/crate unit.
The 'V' and assembly date have already been provided, but the "6CB" assembly 'state-of-tune' coding indicates a 1996 Marine RH (rotation) carb'd 350ci w/Aluminum heads as indicated.
The 'Block Ink Stamp' also indicates a 1996 sourced unit from production group 'A'. With the rest of the info being the shift/group and sequence it was assembled as.

'Best Guess' at this point ... would be someone bought a brand-new ski/wakeboard boat and wanted a 'better' performance delta - thus they purchased a ZZ unit and swapped out the original 'boat-motor' ...
Or ... someone at the original dealer stocking this pulled a fast one - the crate tops lift off and are easy to interchange, just sayin'

I will add that ALL of the ZZ units I've had the pleasure to purchase, install and work on were CLEARLY marked with 'ZZ' stickers for state-of-tune AND had the 'ZZ' level (e.g. - ZZ3 or ZZ4) stamped as part of the Suffix (in this case it would be V0301ZZ4 ... if it was a ZZ4 ...).

Hope some of this helps and you can investigate further before you pay ZZ price for a boat 350 (@330HP btw).
Vintage 68 thanks for the detailed reply. Looks like you were right on. After my dad read your response he recalled finding a green marine tag in the crate. Also the 6CB tag on the oil pan looks like what would be the ZZ4 tag, so further evidence this isn't a ZZ4 exactly. So what does this tell me? Are you saying this is a 330HP boat motor? Would the Cam be different for a boat? I would think so. Can this be installed in a car? Is the rotation different in a boat motor? Strangely this came with a manual flex-plate, wouldn't that be strange to have included on a boat motor? Curious at this point what I would need to change to make this work in my 67, or if I should sell this to a boat owner and move on to a different setup and avoid the hassle, considering this is a brand new motor I would hate to tear into it "trying" to make it work.

Thanks again,

Jerry

1967 Convertible Camaro

Member of Cool Runnin Camaros:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 15, 11:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19HoosierDaddies67 View Post
... Are you saying this is a 330HP boat motor?
Would the Cam be different for a boat?
Can this be installed in a car?
Is the rotation different in a boat motor?
Strangely this came with a manual flex-plate, wouldn't that be strange to have included on a boat motor?

Thanks again,

Jerry

Yes, my cross-reference lists it as 330HP - and 'at worst' it would be 300HP at lowest.

"Marine" cams are generally a 'torque' biased design VS. HP and are spec.'d to generate peaks at slightly lower RPM ranges that 'auto' type cams.
They also generally have longer LSA's (@112 min.) that a similar 'auto' grind of the same HP range. This helps prevent reversion issues and helps bring the Torque peaks in a bit lower in the power ranges.
They are fully suitable for use in a 'street' build also, the slightly noticeable idle is often desired anyway.
Many GM 'Performance Marine' cams are supplied by Crane Corp.

Yes, they are fully suitable for auto use also. All openings and ports required for auto sensors, hose connections and other fittings are usually there, but some may be plugged if they weren't needed in a marine application.
Mounts and other items are the same.

This is a "RH" (right-hand) rotation unit as indicated in data. That is the same as required for most automotive applications, but in 'car' use we refer to it as a "Clockwise" rotation ... same thing ...
If it was a "LH" unit it could be converted to 'RH' with a cam/drive change.

"Manual - Flex Plate" ... hmmmm - most automotive 'manual' transmissions require a solid 'flywheel' vs. a light-weight 'flex-plate', that mounts the torque-convertor, unit that is usually found in automatic applications.
But, marine engines do use both flywheels and flex-plates depending on the drive system.
The common 'Velvet" drive can use a flexplate, with a marine damper assembly attached via a hub - these actually resemble a standard clutch disc minus the friction material and are used as a solid connector with the inner springs acting as vibration dampers during operation.
These are direct drive connection and do not disengage as a clutch system would.
I did not find a spec. saying what this engine was supplied with.

I have never had any quam with using a 'marine' assembly in a vehicle or visa-versa.
What matters are the fittings and components are selected for that use and installed properly.
Surprising to many, just because it's a 'Marine' engine, it may-not contain any HP or HD designs that are 'givens' in HP automotive applications.
Many are 2-bolt mains vs. 4. And often the pistons and other crank components are cast vs. the 'forged' offerings one might expect.
I believe I saw this engine is a 2-bolt with other cast internals ...

Hope some of that helps.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 17, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

So I'm bringing this back from the dead. I decided to finally go forward with install. Motor is in. Question I have is what power steering and alternator brackets do I have to use? I had hoped I would use my stock stuff but the power steering bracket hits the larger harmonic balancer. What brackets have you guys used? Again this is a 1996 360 with Aluminum heads with mounting holes on the heads.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 17, 08:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

You have choices.
The lower bracket you have can be modified to work with an 8 inch balancer. But you need decent welding skills. You will need to lop off a corner, and install a gusset between the upper and lower portions of that bracket. I did it on a 68 El Camino that originally had a 307 PG combo with a 7 inch balancer. I now have a 350 / 460LE set up with an 8 inch balancer. Still plenty of room to get a socket to the mountin bolts. Not sure why GM didn't build it that way to begin with.
Option 2: I believe the Nova's with L79 engines had an 8 inch balancer. They used a different bracket set up. Those brackets show up (seldom) NOS. I am almost certain I have a set, but would have to dig around to find them.

Option 3: Use the 69 and later bracket set up. Then you have to change to a long water pump. Different fan set up etc.

For me, it was an easy choice. I spent less than an hour modifying my current bracket.

Lynn
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 17, 03:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Pics of the modified bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	187361   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	187369   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	187377  

Lynn
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 19, 04:41 PM
Probationer

Hello,
I have this same engine in my 64 C10. V03016CB. After multiple searchís I came across this thread. Iíve been trying to confirm if this was indeed a ZZ4. After reading this string, I guess not. Iíve owned and driven this truck for almost 5 years, it runs strong with a 700R4. Any other information you may have on your engine would be appreciated.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Hello, I think this is all the information I have on this engine. I too am coming across my own thread as I am trying to figure out why my motor is eating mechanical fuel pumps? Do you have the part number of what you are running, if it's mechanical? Did you have to run a special fuel pump rod to the cam? For the roller cam? TIA, Jerry
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Michael

Roller cams DO require a special distributor gear AND fuel pump push rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode