cowl induction seal - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

I am installing cowl induction on my '68 Camaro (SB 383). Does the rubber seal mount on the air cleaner flange or does it attach to the hood? I am thinking of changing from a Holley to an AFB, will the cowl induction system still fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 08:36 AM
Retired
Jim

check the photos in my signature you can see the rubber on my air cleaner on my cowl hood.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,Close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Click,
Looks like I have to turn the rubber inside out. My gasket came with the rounded shape on the outside? Did you glue the gasket to the ac flange?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 02:24 PM
Retired
Jim

I got the car this way so not sure if its glued or just fits snug over the lip, the hood does hold it down tight when closed too.
Maybe someone else knows the glue or not question.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1,TH350,Dover White,Blue Vinyl top
F&R spoilers,pdb,Close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi.,A/C,
fold down rear seat.
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 02, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

The rubber seal is inside out as shipped as I have found it that way myself and some of my other Camaro friends have had the same issues. It can stay on the flange by itself if your car stays in the garage but if you will be driving the car I would use some 3M super weatherstrip adhesive to hold it in place. It could cause a real mess if it flipped off and landed on the headers

-Mark.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 02, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips on the cowl induction set up!
The AFB and Holley carburators look to be about the same heigth, will I have any problems with hood or air cleaner interference when I do the swap?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 04:01 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

some times you do but I recomend leaving the spacer ring off and run the seal flange directly on the base. The 396 cars ran that way and the seal still reaches the hood. No rear hood lift when installed that way. Leave the ring in the trunk to install at shows. Bonus is the seal ring will look like new for longer as it will not get permanantly deformed like it would if you run the extension ring.

-Mark.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 02, 06:43 AM
Senior Tech
Don

I agree with stingr69, don't use the spacer ring. On my 68 350 with a Holley carb and Holley Dominator intake the spacer ring has caused the seal ring to flatten out like a pancake. Of course all of this will depend on the height of your intake manifold. Try it without the spacer ring first and if the seal touches leave it that way.

I'd take the spacer off of my car, but the seal is so badly deformed that it wouldn't touch the hood now.

Donald
68 SS Convertible
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 02, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the helpful info, my cowl air cleaner came in last night. It didn't fit the AFB Carter, the carter has a slightly larger air horn diameter and the electric choke rubs on the base of the air cleaner. I use a 1/2 spacer (summit) to adapt the ac to the carb. The rubber seal just touches the hood without using the 2" cowl spacer. Thanks again!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 02, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech

Sorry to intrude on your post but I had a question on this subject also. On a big block car with a 3310 holley and an eldebrock performer rpm intake, will the cowl setup still fit or is the height different. My car was originally cowl inducted but other than the hood itself most everything else was gone before I got it. I thought I might save myself some heartache now if it won't fit right before I go spring for the rest of the setup.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 02, 06:58 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

It will fit on a small block for sure. Big block I just don't know. I remember your post but did not have the answer. I had the performer RPM with the full cowl induction setup and a Holley on a 350 and it fit fine. The only real issue is that Edelbrock wants to sell you one of thier carbs so they put the power steering vacuum fitting right where the secondary fuel bowl is supposed to go on a Holley so you may need a 1" phenolic carb spacer and extended studs if you have power brakes and the Holley carb. The cowl induction setup still fits and I would still recomend leaving the extension ring off as it fits better that way. Sorry I cant help you BB guys.

-Mark.

[This message has been edited by stingr69 (edited 08-24-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode