understanding - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 16th, 04, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

u guys are great thanks. hey, what is meant by F-Body? and whats the difference from a TBI & TPI? are the both in camaros? what years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 04:43 AM
Senior Tech
Nick

F-Body = Fisher Body

TBI = Throtle Body Injection ( I think??)

TPI = Tuned Port Injection

I'm not really sure when they started using the different set ups, but if I were going to guess I would say 81'- 82' on the TBI and 1985 on the TPI.

I hope this helps,
Nick
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Does F-body stand for Fisher body? I just thought it was the (almost) random designation GM gave to the body styles...A body, G, X, J, etc. Aren't the A bodies made by Fisher too?

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 17th, 04, 07:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

"F=Fisher" - that's cute, I'll have to remember that...

The 'Body Letter Type' is a Basic Body Classification for GM body 'groups'.
Chevrolet's 12000 series Camaro's and Pontiacs 22000 series Firebirds were in the "F" Body Group.

Body Name Type was used to identify the style of body.
Camaro's (& 'birds) are "Hard Top" Style Code 37 or Convertible Style Code 67.

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 03:24 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I don't think it stands for Fisher body. Like silver69 said they made more than Camaros at Fisher body. I don't think that it "stands" for anything really, it's just the GM designation for the chassis type used for Camaros, Novas, Ventura, Opollo, etc. They are all unibody cars with front and rear subframes.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech
Nick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vintage 68:
[QB] "F=Fisher" - that's cute, I'll have to remember that...

Havn't any of you ever looked at your door sill plates? You know the peice the holds down the carpet in the door opening. The emblem right in the center of it says "FISHER BODY".

I hope this helps,
Nick
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 06:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric68:
'I don't think that it "stands" for anything really, it's just the GM designation for the chassis type used for Camaros, Novas, Ventura, Opollo, etc.
They are all unibody cars with front and rear subframes.'
Uhmmmmm - close...

(eric68)
'I don't think that it "stands" for anything really,'...
Zackly - it "stands" for a GM/Fisher Body 'Group' (not 'platform' - Chrysler gave us that later) that a given car series is developed under.

(eric68)
'it's just the GM designation for the chassis type used for Camaros, Novas, Ventura, Opollo, etc.'...
Camaros - are "F" Bodies - (Firebirds also)
'Novas, Ventura, Opollo, etc.' are "X" Bodies - a totally different series of bodies that did share some components and parts with their "Cousins" the Camaro and Firebird.
You should also throw the Omega and Seville into this 'group' of "X"'s - yep, those paragones of class and style the (late 70's/early 80's) Cadillac Seville was built on a Fisher "X" Series Body.

(eric68)
'They are all "unibody" cars with front and rear subframes.'
They are all 'Semi-Unibody' - the SAE term used to discribe a car with a removable front Sub-Frame and Rear-Unibody structure.

Just wanted to clear a little of this up.

ps: (DY69) "The emblem right in the center of it says "FISHER BODY"." - Hummm, 50+ years of steppin' in-an-out of these things and I never noticed that...
Quess my 59,61,62,65,67 & 68 Impalas were "F" Bodies too...
Wait - I think my dad still has a Oldsmobile "F" Body - gotta go now and tell him the good news... [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech
Nick

Vintage,
Well dont I fell stupid now. Thank you for correcting me in such a non sarcastic mannor. Next time I will make darn sure I am correct before I try to answer any more questions.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Unhappy

DY69;

My intent was never to make anyone feel "Stupid" - that's not what I think we are all here for.
My intent was to give him a correct answer - that is why I believe we are all here.
I have missed the mark on more than my fair-share of answers on here because I didn't know or research an answer well enough - I have taken the information offered and learned more from it.

"Havn't any of you ever looked at your door sill plates?..." I quess I shouldn't have read that as "sarcastic", but I didn't see a "smiley" other than mine in there.
( BTW - it 'says' "Body by Fisher"... )
Again - sorry to have offended you with my reply;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 08:10 AM

Ditto, "Body by Fisher" on the door sill plates...

pdq67

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech
Nick

Vintage,
No Problem. I guess I just missunderstood your replys.(not enough caffeen to think strait ) I apologize for snapping at you. And yes, the reason I come to this site is to learn about the cars we all love so much.
Again, I appologize for my post. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Nick
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 11:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Smile

"Air-Hug"

This "finger communications" thingy can be a real bi-atch sometimes as we can't hear or see each other.
I've never tried to slam or flame anyone on here (or anywhere for that matter) but replies have been taken wrong before.
Believe me - I am Sooooooo carefull about typing stuff sometimes - but, I have found those times have presented a great opportunity to push the keyboard away and go get a refreshment ( [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] ) also...

'I luv Ya Man' (I know I'm "near" San Francisco, but don't take that wrong - "not that there's anything wrong with that*" - but - oh nevermind - here I go again...)

John [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]

(* with apologies to Don&Mike)

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode