HELP! Broken bolt/Heli Coil. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 04, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Samuel
Unhappy

I had a broken bolt in my intake manifold and after trying to extract it, I decided to use a heli coil to re-make the hole. I have another problem now. I started to drill the hole with a dull bit. The surface of the sheared bolt was not easy to drill in the center of with a dull bit. The hole I drilled is now to the left of where it should be and the opening of the hole is wider than it should be. What are my options now???

Thanks,

Samuel

1967 Camaro SS. See pictures of it here: <a href="http://community.webshots.com/user/sbwell1020" target="_blank">http://community.webshots.com/user/sbwell1020</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 04, 03:40 PM
Bill

I wish you guys would learn to stop and get some help, rather than totally screw things up Without seeing what you have done, its hard to say. You might be able to get the rest of the broken bolt out with a Dremel tool and a small bit, then there might still be enough room to put in a helicoil. Otherwise, you could get the hole welded up and drill and tap a completely new hole. There are also some solid inserts that are larger than a helicoil, but without looking at what you have done, its hard to say. Take the manifold down to your machine shop and see what they say.

Labor rate: $80 hr
If you help: $100 hr
If you tried first and we have to fix it: $200 hr

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

An insert that is two sizes larger than the orignal heli-coil but is still a heli-coil is called a twin-cert. Remember to intall a heli-coil (normal one)it uses and oversized hole so it is possible your still going to be ok. The solid type incert that you can use to fix your mistake is called a keen-cert. They are little harder to get in but once in will not back out as they are held in by stakes you drive between the incert and it's treads.

If you don't know what your doing STOP and get help. If you have an aluminum intake it might be an easy fix to have welded up and re-drilled and tapped. It might be even cheaper to go to the swapmeet for new to you one or purchase new anyway depending on the condition of the intake. Cast and original intake you might be spending some $$$$.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode