Alternator relocation? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

I just installed an air gap intake on my 69's 350. My alternator was mounted on the passenger side of the engine but the bracket that bolts to the water neck will no longer work.

What are my options?

I have power steering so the lower driverís side mount is out. I have seen many cars with the alternator mounted on the top driverís side. I think that is one ok option but how many brackets will I need to mount there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Why does the old bracket not work? The waterneck stud should still be the mounting point unless I am missing something.

-Mark.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

The alternator mounting plate bolts to the water pump and the top of the water neck. The new manifold has the water neck about 1" higher that the stock manifold. this would cause the whole alternator bracket to be off.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

You can keep it on the passenger side with the correct brackets. I used the mid-mount bracket set made by Alan Grove Components. www.alangrovecomponents.com See part number 215-R. The price is great - $35. Very nicely engineered stuff. My original power steering pump brackets were causing pump misalignment, so I also used their power steering pump brackets.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

gheatly,
that looks like what I am looking for. I may also need the optional bracket for $22 because I don't think I have the whole in my head that the other bracket needs.
Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Cool!!!!

I am about to put an LT1 manifold on my 69 and the 215R will address the alternator mounting problem....since I won't have a intake mounted t-stat anymore!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

March Performance http://www.marchperf.com also has a very nice side mount kit but it will run twice the price of the other kit from alen grove.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Yes, I think summit said that the complete setup was $750? All I want to do is mount my alternator without using the bracket to the t-stat housing! I think for me $35 is the way to go!!

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 03, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

the March billet aluminum brackets run from $60 to $78. If you don't have the mounting whole in your head then you need the $32 optional bracket to go with it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 03, 02:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I too have the Alan Grove bracket and it makes for a beautiful install. Since it's steel, yoiu'll have to paint it or apply some type of coating. It also allows running a short belt which helps with high revs!!

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode