700r4 question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Question

I am building up my vette so I am using many of the parts in my daily driver. It is a 78 GMC 4x4. New 355 SB Mild Cam (bullet 280) L88 heads 750 holley headers 9.5:1 cr. My question is what will have to be changed/ modified, if anything, to put the old 86 700r from my vette (just brought the thing couple years ago)in my 4x4. Can I do it, should I do it? I really like the OD. Suggest t-converter etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 05:29 AM

I would suggest a good rebuild. I've had really good luck putting a heavy duty clutch pack between 3-4 gears, putting a high rev spring kit in, a good shift kit will help, and you'll need a lockup kit to make the lock up converter work right. The last time I had all this done it ran me $800 and I havn't had any problems. The 700-R4 is more than enough tranny to hold a wild small block if they are modified correctly.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 05:31 AM

Sorry, I don't know how it will hook up with your transfer case or if it even will.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech

to put it on your 4wheeler you need to have the right tail shaft put in it..a very short one iff you tak the one out of your rig now i belive it is a THM350 the 700R4 should just bot up to teh tranfercase adaptor, you might have to moove it back a few inches. other than that you will need a T.V cable and 700R4 wire kit from some one..they run around 100 buck's, oh and a bvraket for the T.V. cable...hope this help's.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 04:00 PM
Team Member

The Corvette transmission case does not have a pad for a rear trans mount. I'm not sure but if the 4x4 mount is on the transmission, or transfer case. If it is on the trans, the the Vette trans won't work.

TTFN
Mat
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech

Tony,

The 700 will fit, and has already been said the 4x4 takes a shorter output shaft. The case of the 700 is longer than the 350 so it takes a different adapter for the transfer. the one from the 350 will bolt on but the drive shafts won't fit and the output shaft will be to short to spline into the transfer. Call the local dealer and get the adapter from them. Ask for 1982 up 4x4 700R4 transfer adapter.

Also 86 is the last year that you can lock it up w/out electrical. This tranny can be locked up hydraulic.

Get the vette converter rebuilt, or one like it, they are around 2200/2400 as are. I use these, and my converter man furnace brazes them, and adds the late converter clutch.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode