aluminum block? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

just getting some ideas on my next engine. i wanted to know what the diffrence(beside weight)there is between a aluminum block as opposed to a cast iron block?i'm going to try my hand at engine building(i do have friends that are mechanics so i wont be going at it blind)and i need to find out which block would fit my application best. the setup i'm trying to get to will be a supercharged 383 with a HP range between 450 to 550. is there a diffrence between the two for this setup or is it fairly simular
thanks in advance,
zack68 [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

my 68camaroSS project<br /><a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">www.geocities.com/zack68ss/1.html</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 07:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Here's some info off of another board. Not a lot different, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a beginner.

http://www.nastyz28.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/006581.html

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech

Unless you want to lose the weight, I would stay with an iron block for such a mild build. The aluminum block will move around a bit more than an iron one will, and generally you will find the iron block will make a bit more power due to heat retention. If you really thrown the beans to it then go with an aluminum block. We ran a Rodeck block supercharged 388" with a set of -12 Brodix heads and it made over 1200 hp in a detuned mode! It ran into the 6's at over 200 in a 2200 lb car. You can see it on the home page of my site. For what the alloy block will cost you, that would be money spent better elsewhere IMO for what you are after.

Oldani Motorsports

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

the weight issue is not a problem. the reason i was asking was because i've seen so much publicity about the ZL1 "aliminum" block i thought there might be an advantge to a aluminum block rather than iron. can either of you suggest a good pro-charger/supercharger for this buildup and what are the price ranges?
zack68

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 08:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

For your HP range I'd suggest the P1SC ProCharger. It will support more if you decide to up the power later. It is a self-contained unit which means no oil feed and drain lines to run. And because it doesn't have the hot engine oil running through it the air temps are lower.

The best pricing and best support I've found on them is from Scott at http://www.sd-concepts.com/ Tell him I sent you. He helped me a lot with the ProCharged 540.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] cool,i'll check into it this afternoon.
zack68

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to jg95z28
Quote:
Originally posted by zack 68:
the weight issue is not a problem. the reason i was asking was because i've seen so much publicity about the ZL1 "aliminum" block i thought there might be an advantge to a aluminum block rather than iron. can either of you suggest a good pro-charger/supercharger for this buildup and what are the price ranges?
zack68
Are you refering to the "new" ZL1 454 c.i.d. Aluminum crate motor from GM, limited to just 200 total production and with a $25K price tag?

Heck if you can afford it, I say go for it.

'67 RS Coupe - Gold on Gold, 327/210, PG and mostly original
'67 Plain Jane Coupe - Penske Blue, Z/28 stripes, 350HO & Tremec TKO500
'95 Z28 Coupe - Dead stock (seriously)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

just like almost everyone here i can't quite afford a ZL1 [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img] . the reason i asked was because there is an emphesis on "aluminum" block. i just wondered if the same components were put on an iron block would i get the same performance?
zack68

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 06:45 PM

Angry

RickWI has an aluminum 454 SB and generally can be found over at SCCOG. I've read his posts and have found he is a great guy if you want to try to learn more about this from him.

Just say, pdq67 said to look him up!!

pdq67

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Wink

sorry but what is SCCOG? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
zack

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 07:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Second Generation Camaros Owners Group

http://www.nastyz28.com/cgi-bin/Ulti...i?action=intro

Jody

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode