#186 heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Are the heads with the smaller valves the same as the ones with larger valves (other than the valve siz)? I need some and can get the smaller valves heads and machine to larger size. Thanks,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 09:20 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hello Gary, Yes you are right the 1.94 casting 186 head is the same basic casting as the factory 2.02 head, but the factory 2.02 head has differnt machining in the bowls ( below the seat) and also the intake wall around the intake valve is machined with a bigger cutter to unshroud the intake valve. Actually this a good way to go as any good machine shop can easily machine the heads out to 2.02x1.60 valve size, PLUS the valves sit up in the chamber just like a new head would! As far as unshrouding the intake wall i have built lots of motors without doing this and they run just fine. It probably hurts airflow in the chamber slightly, i have never flowed a original head and a converted head to find the difference. Hope this helps. Mike.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I am not sure what "unshrouding" means.Does that mean that the area behind the valve stays the same, only the valve head is larger? The seat must have to change also, correct? Thanks,
Gary

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hello Gary, Unshrouding the intake valve means machining the vertical chamber wall around and above the intake valve in the combustion chamber. If you are looking at the head on the bench with the intake ports toward you and the valves facing straight up the vertical chamber wall is behind the valve. Picture the intake valve as a clock face, the factory unshrouding cutter machines the vertical combustion chamber wall from say 8 o'clock to 12 o'clock posistion. Actually there are not any seatinserts in a original head, the casting simply has the seat machined into the head cast material. You are correct the seats have to be enlarged for the bigger valves. Some machine shops will install stellite valve seats for todays unleaded fuel to stop seat recession. Hope this answers your question. Mike.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 02, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I am looking to make 2.02 valve heads out of 1.94 heads. I understand that there are machinig specs for the milling process to unshroud the intakes in the older GM Performance Parts book. Does anyone have that book or a good close-up picture of a real DZ head? Thanks,
Gary
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 02, 01:35 PM

My stock, big valve, -461 heads cc'ed at 66 vs 62 to 64 generally b/c of the factory chamber relief cut to unshroud the intake valves.. I don't have pic's but it is a pretty straight forward plunge cut with a stone on an arbor. pdq67

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 02, 03:10 PM
Team Member
John

The unshrouding cutter should be 2.34" diameter. I've seen flow bench sheets showing that heads with intakes enlarged from 1.94" to 2.02" without unshrouding the intake valve actually flow LESS than they did originally with the 1.94's; there's a good reason the chamber was cut on factory 2.02 heads. It cost over $200,000 (in the late 60's) to add that station in the head machining line, and Chevy didn't spend any money on option tooling without solid justification from Engineering to get it past the bean-counters

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 02, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Here you go!

-Mark.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 02, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Thanks!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I now have the 1.94 heads. I am talking to machine shops about what to do with these heads. I want basically a stock 302. I will open up the valves to the larger size and unshroud the valves. Some pictures I have seen of original heads looks like the exhaust valves were unshrouded along with the intakes. Is this correct? Some shops are telling me to install screw in studs and plates (not stock). Is this something worth
doing to protect the valve train? Did the factory DZ heads have machined bowls (pocket ported)? Thanks for everyone's advice.
Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary L (edited 12-26-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode