Engine miss, serious frustration - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 04, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

My engine has had a miss for a while now. I cant figure it out, Ive tried everything I could think. Its #2 cylinder for sure, because that plug is always real black and sooty but all the others are nice tan color. Ive changed cap,rotor,wires,plugs, and checked all connections numerous times with no results. The compression also checks fine, so any suggestions? Im stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 04, 10:12 AM

Did you check out the carb? Remove the front float bowl and make sure the jets are both in place. I know it's sounds strange but I have seen jets work their way out before, if pass. side jet is loose or fell out, could make #2 cyl. run richer than the rest.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 04, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Wouldn't hurt to try swapping the plug and wire on number 2 cylinder to see if the problem moves. If so its probably a bad wire.

If you can't get the problem to move it would be a good idea to try a cranking compression test to make sure all the cylinders (including #2) are within 10% of each other.

Also, check your carbs float levels, levels that are too high or too low can cause misses and strange stalling problems.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 04, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

One other thing you may want to try is start the car at night with the hood open (no lighting) and see if you are having an arcing problem. It could very well be that the wire on #2 is too close to some grounding point (header, head, block, bracket, etc...). I have seen it happen many times.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 04, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech

If the ignition and carb check out, yank the valve cover and turn the engine over while watching the rockers. A flattened or failing intake lobe can also cause this. The extreme vacuum caused by the decending piston and the non-openeing intake valve will pull oil up past the rings, and make a mess out of a spark plug. This is from experience.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 04, 09:10 PM

A bad valve guide can also be allowing oil into the combustion chamber, giving the same condition as what travis described above.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 04, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech

An oil ring gone bad could cause it without showing up on a compression test.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 11:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

so could a bad intake gasket sucking oil from underneath

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech

or a bad valve seal

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 06:57 AM

JOIN THE CLUB PAL, SEE MY POSTS ABOUT ROUGH RUNNING 327, DEAD CYLINDERS 3,5 & 7
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 04, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I checked the float levels, looks fine. I took the carb and distributor off and went thru them, everything looks good. I used a temp gun and aimed it at each header pipe right at the head and #2 is about 150 degrees cooler than the rest. Looks like I may be pulling the motor soon to dig deeper.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 04, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Well, it seems it was an intake leak after all. I pulled the intake and found lots of oil was getting in from the lifter valley. All but one intake port had signs of oil getting thru the gaskets. I first that it was because I didnt use any high tack sealer but after putting a straight edge on the intake it was evident that it is BADLY warped on both sides. Ive been chasing these leaks forever.

So I called edelbrock and they told me to put it back on with the Right Stuff sealer around all ports. So I RIght Stuffed it and it seemed to work at first but now its got probs again, you think the gas ate up the right stuff? I ran some techron valve cleaner thru the tank the next day after the sealer sat over night too. I think its time to get a new intake? I dont know why this happened I never over torqued the bolts.

How much do you think these intake port leaks could have effected my time at the track? Im anxious to see what it does when its not leaking.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 04, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
You can take the manifold to your local head shop and have them belt-sand it flat, or buy a new manifold.

Alum does "creep." Especially after being clamped in a spot for some time. I find this happens if using a layered manifold gasket. I always use a single-layer paper gasket, thinner and less crush.

Believe it or not, book binding tape works very well.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 04, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech

Like Everett said, take it to a competant machine shop and get it surface. I would suggest getting a set of extra thick intake gaskets afterwards. I fought that same battle with a weiand 8004 one time and after trying nearly every intake gasket available, ended up getting the intake machined and put on a set of mr. gasket extra thick intkae gaskets, and never had another problem. Don't use regular intake manifold gaskets that come in most rebuild sets...they are too hard for aluminum.

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode