Keeping it Cool? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

When I put my car back together, I had the stock radiator re-cored. My car was an original 327/210 with A/C. I used a new cast iron Miloden hi flow pump, and a 180 thermostat. When I am stopped in traffic for a really long time, the car starts to reach 210-220 temps. It is using the stock shroud and the stock clutch fan. Should I conside the aerostar or Mark VII fans setups, or what can i do to make sure the car could stay cool for a long sit still? Any help would be great. I have a brand new 160 therm in the garage if that will help the problem. I had actually heard that it may hurt the cause.

Dan

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1, Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" Amer. Racing TT2's, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 02, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech

once the thermostat is open, it has no control over how hot the engine gets. it just sets the minimum running temp.
how long does it take to creep up? does it do it as you travel at highway speeds? could be any number of things. is the fan clutch working? that would be my guess. with the engine off, give the fan a spin. it should be hard to turn by hand and stop as soon as you let go. if it keeps spinning, it is shot. get a new one.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 02:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Is that test of the fan clutch valid for both thermal and centrifugal clutches?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 02:46 AM
Senior Tech

Dan, I ran into the same problem and took the 180 degree hi flow thermostat out and went with the 160 degree hi flow by Robertshaw. Engine runs at 190 degrees now in the garage, at idle with an outside air temperature of 100 degrees. I've got a new 7 blade GM fan & GM fan clutch with stock shroud. Worked for me, it's an easy try.
Good Luck

------------------
Drew

69' X-11 350, Turbo 350, Factory Air, PS, PB, 12 Bolt (410 gear) & NOT AN SS
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 05:35 AM

I would also check the top and bottom radiator hose. If they are old like a 1.5 years or more then change them out too. We took a friends car for a test drive and his hoses were closing up, causing his car to overheat. They hadn't been replaced in years. Some people only replace the hoses when they tears. But once they get bulgie they are no longer good. Same think with belts change them out at least once a year. And keep the old ones in the trunk for spare. This way when your new one tears you have a replacement to get you to where you were going. My wife thinks I'm a pack-rat, but I say you can never have to many spare parts. My son is always trying to make his car run faster and keeps on breaking stuff, so I have to have a lot of spare parts lying around.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Belts and hoses are brand new.

Drew- I will try the new therm., at least it is a quick change to see if it works.

Nova- It takes about 15-20 in stop and go driving. I haven't had it on the highway yet, but usually as long as the car is moving, it runs at 190 on 100 degree days. It's when I get caught in this whacked out traffic around here. I will test the fan, but am pretty sure it is working as it is supposed to.

It sounds like everyone things my current cooling system SHOULD be keeping it cool, no? I was worried that the fan/radiator/thermostat would need changing but it sounds like I should be able to make this work. Good! Any other opinions?

Dan

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1, Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" Amer. Racing TT2's, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech

Drew, what are the GM part numbers for the fan and fan clutch?

Dean
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 02, 04:33 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Sounds like an air flow problem and with a 160 stat you would be expecting the system to do more work than it's capable of. The stat sets the temp that the system starts and stops working at (coolant flow through the block and core). Running a 180 deg stat I think will optmize your systems efficency. If the system can't cool to below 160 the state opens and never closes after that. It's only doing half the job if it doesn't open and close often. It may seem to slow down the overheating at the first light but once the temps are up there is no advantage to the lower temp stat.

Looking at air flow, if the car cools back down when it's moving your fan isn't doing it's job. There are 2 kinds of clutch fans, thermal and non-thermal. You need to know which you have as each acts differently. The thermal free spins when the temp is low and as the temp rises it starts locking up so the engine can turn it faster. The non-thermal is tight at lower rpms (letting the engine turn it) and as the revs pick up it free spins, so at 1500 rpm it may be turning 1:1 but at 3000 rpm it may only be turning 1500. The non-thermal clutch will rob less hp but may not provide as much cooling power if the system is taxed already. I think you would benifit from a thermal clutch.

What kind of core was used when you had the rad re-cored? If it's more dense than the old it may need more pull to get the air through it than your fan is giving. The fact that you have AC can come into play as well. The AC core sits in front of the rad and puts more strain on the fan. Also fan placement in the shroud can be of importance here. Too far in or out of the shroud can have adverse effects also. Sorry I don't have a reall direct (you need this part) answer. So far just lots of info to mill over! All that said I shouldn't forget that initial timing being set too low can also have an effect on stop light temps. Check where it is at idle, I run 15-16 initial and don't have starting problems if your are at factort spec's (4 deg btdc I think) try bumping it up. I'd say 10-12 if your mill can handle the added advance driving down the road... Let us know what you find...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 02:20 AM
Senior Tech

Dean, part numbers for fan & clutch for 69' small block with A/C

Fan # is 00393996 (18" diameter with 7 blades) this is a genuine GM replacement not original looking - the blades have more pitch than the original one did.

Fan clutch # is 12306569 or A/C Delco # 15-4218

You will also need 5/16" studs course/fine that are 1 1/4" long to install available from local auto parts store.

------------------
Drew

69' X-11 350, Turbo 350, Factory Air, PS, PB, 12 Bolt (410 gear) & NOT AN SS

[This message has been edited by drew69 (edited 08-07-2002).]
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech
Jack

What is the diameter of your water pump Pulley? I changed from 7 inch to a 6 inch and it cured my heating problem while sitting in traffic.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech

thanks Drew.

Dean
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 02, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech

I think this could be a timing problem.Do you have your distributor advance connected to the correct vaccuum port? The port should have vacuum at idle. If this is not the issue, you may want to check the timing. Same thing happened to me at idle. I changed the thermostat a few times, purchased a high flow water pump, changed the fan, fan clutch, etc... Turned out to be the vaccuum advance.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 02, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

I have the vaccum advanced connected to the ported vaccum source on my street avenger, per Holley's instructions. The timing is at 12 initial, and 35 total. It always ran good there, so I never messed with it. I would assume that if it were a timing or advance problem, I would have problems while driving as well as while sitting. It is wierd because I can cruise the car for any ammount of time at 70 degrees, it's when the temp starts to get around 100 outside that I run into the sitting problems.

Dennis, the core used is looks identical to the stock core when I took it in. I think that was a mistake, for the money, I should have bought an aftermarket aluminum radiator, and I may not be posting right now. As far as what type of fan, I am unsre. It is the same stock piece that came with the car. When I installed it, the fluid felt tight, so I thought it would be fine. I can spin it by hand when the car is off, does that tell you which it is. It does stop immediately when I stop spinning it, as novaderrik recommended, but it isn't THAT hard to turn by hand, nothing you would have to put any real effort into.

The shroud is bone stock, as is the fan and clutch, so the clearance should be the same as it always was. The fan is centered in the shroud, and looks like it is at the right depth compared to what I see on others cars.

SO, what could be causing this? Is it just the fact that my stock radiator may not be able to handle my beefed up motor? Could the clutch be bad and be causing these problems? It is more of a nusance(sp?) than anything. I don't usually drive the car on 100 degree days in heavy traffic, but it pisses me off that I couldn't if I wanted to. Any other help would be great.

Dan

------------------
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 02, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
I don't understand what the problem is. 190* running down the road and 210-220* after 15 minutes sitting in traffic.

Mine does exactly that all day in Atlanta traffic.

Has it ever boiled over?

-Funk
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 02, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech

When you checked your timing did you disconnect the vacuum hose and plug it with a golf tee or something similar? If you didn't do this to check your timing, I would try this and recheck the timing. If the timing reads the same as before, you may want to change the advance to the non ported vacuum. I really believe this sounds like a timing issue.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode