Installed cam wrong???????? :o - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Ive put a cam into my 327. I lined up the dot on crank with the dot on the cam. The dot on the cam is on top. Is it suppose to be on the bottom? The car runs fine, but the timing is very picky. Will only run at 8 degrees before top dead center without pinging. Thanks for any and all help.

PLAIN JANE 69(MUSTY AND RUSTY)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

The dots on the sprockets are supposed to be inside the centers of the two shafts.

Camshaft=dot on the bottom
Crankshaft=dot on the top

Place straightedge across the center of both shalves, the dots to be underneath edge.

Hopefully, dowel pin is still there and the dowel pin of camshaft engages into cam sprocket.

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 09:42 AM

I did that one time Thing sounded real good hit a bad lick. Would not fall out of a tree S o donít fill bad every one gets in a rush it lest once

TIM

[This message has been edited by Tim Meredith (edited 04-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tim Meredith (edited 04-11-2001).]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The car does sound good, but is was disapointed with the performance.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 04:13 PM

I don't see a problem here. Put the dots together turn the crank one round and where are the dots then?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 04:49 PM
Bill

Clint hit it right on the head....it does not matter which way you put them in. Once you turn the crank one revolution, the dots will line up. All that matters is that you have the distributor in right, which you do or the car would not run. When the cam is intalled "dot to dot" the motor is actually in the firing position for #6 cylinder, not #1 like everyone thinks.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 01, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Right on Bill...thats why a lot of the older repair manuals tell you to put the cam gear dot at the 12 o'clock position instead of at the bottom...I've done a bunch myself this way with no problems.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech

Smile

Billk, Could you explain your comment a little more? The crank only knows up and down not what stroke it is on. The cam determines if it is a exhaust or compression stroke. Not trying to dog you, I am just trying to get educated.

thanks
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech

Oh yeah. The comment I was talking about was the motor being in the firing position for the #6 cylinder. (sorry about that)

Dean
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech

there is a 2 to 1 rateo on the timing chain gear's. the dot on dot is TDC for # 6 the dot on top on both is TDC for # 1. simple realy but confusing as most people for get this and new book's do not tell you this.

this is a standared set up by GM when they stated making the SB. just rember the crank will turn 2 time's and the cam will turn 1 time.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 06:19 PM
Bill

bilidean,
The crankshaft turns two complete revolutions for each turn of the cam. If you install the cam "dot" to dot, and then turn the crankshaft one complete turn, the dots will both be straight up. When you install the cam "dot to dot" at that position the motor is on the compression stroke tdc for the #6 cylinder. If you turn the crank one turn, it will be on #1 tdc compression. So it really does not matter how you align the dots when you install the cam, even though it is easiest to do them "dot to dot". What confuses most people about this procedure is installing the distributor properly. they think that because they have installed the cam "dot to dot" they should install the distributor in the #1 firing position. Obviously this will not work. You have to instal it in the #6 firing position. If you want to get even more confused...there really is no "correct" position for the distributor, as long as the rotor is pointing to the number 1 wire when it is time to fire the number one plug, thats all that matters. This seems to be very hard for most people to understand, and it is probably even harder to desribe it in writing, rather than showing it hands on.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech

Talking

BillK, That was my point. It doesn't matter if you line up the crank and cam dot to dot or across from each other, so long as the dist is firing at the correct time. If you took the cam out of the engine and just spun the crank, it wouldn't know if it was on an exhaust stroke or a compression stroke. The cam is what controls this. What I was curious on was your comment about the motor being in the #6 firing position. I suppose if people wanted the distributor in the correct position per the books, then it would make a on how you lined up the dots. Is this specifically what you were talking about?

thanks
Dean
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech

Bilydean,

I think what Bill is trying to say is that when the cam dot is in the 6 o'-clock position, the intake and exhaust lobes are in the overlap position on #1 cylinder. At this time, #6 cylinder is on the firing stroke, not #1. Only when the cam dot is in the 12 o'-clock position is the #1 cylinder on the firing stroke. Hope this helps. Take care.

Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode