Eaton posi carrier question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

I just purchased a 12 bolt rearend with an Eaton posi carrier in it with the # ED 32088 on it. My question is, can I use this carrier with a set of 4:56 gears in it? Is this carrier capable of handling 450-500 horse setup? What is the value of this unit used as well as what would the housing alone be worth? Finally, what carrier do I need & how much to do it right?
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 08:31 PM
Senior Tech

Hi Tony see your from Terrace I used to live in Rupert have some friends here in Edmonton from Terrace.
Anyway back to your questions a friend bought an Eaton posi new at the end of the season last year for around $800 for a 10 bolt.
I don't know what gears it was made for I don't think that would be hard to find with the part#.
As for the value of the diff could be from $300-$600.I don't know my 12 bolts very well so I don't know the carrier.
Handling 450-500hp should be no problem a stock 10 bolt will handle that.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

The posi you have is a 2 series and, no, you can't use a 4.56 on it. If you find some one who wants to run a 2 series gear you may be able to get around $200 for it, but they are not very desireable. If you can find a 3 or 4 series case you can use the internal parts out or yours in the other case. It will handle the power you mentioned. I think you can get a new Eaton 3 or 4 series for about $375-$400. It is worth it. A used one should run around $250-$300.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 01, 01:21 PM

You can sell the '2' series on just about any Land Speed Record bullitinboard for top dollar. They are VERY desirable, you just gotta know who wants them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 01, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I should have said they are not very desireable to drag racers or muscle car owners.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode