Thorley headers & ground clearance question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Does anyone know if the Thorley tri-y full length headers tuck up closer to the floor pans than other headers (Hookers for example)?

My '68RS is lowered about 2" and the Hookers that were on there dragged on everything!

I'd like to stay with full length headers if at all possible. I recall Thorley recommended their tri-y part 376Y1 for 1st gen Z28s. Anyone with a lowered car running these headers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 11:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Angry

How soon do you need to know? My car should be assembled within the next month, and it has Thorley Headers, Hotchkis 2" drop fronts/1.5" drop rear springs. 406 small block, PS, PB, Vintage Air.
I'll let you know the clearance.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 12:50 PM

Chop- Yeah they do. I am using the Global West 1/2" lowered height subframe bushings and the Thorleys are right on the pan. It couldnt be any better. Infact, the headers are tucked up above the subframe line itself, which is a plus.

My ride height is DEFINATELY lowered to designed ride height or even less (so much that you have to slightly lift the bumper to get a jack under the front 'K' member. So yeah, they fit really nice in my opinion......I have never rode the collector or tubes on a speed bump or otherwise.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

MangeMD, let me know what your clearance looks like once everything is together! I may have ordered by then, but that's no big deal. It is always nice to compare notes anyway.

Chicane, that is what I was hoping to find! Did you use the same part number listed above? Which coating did you elect to go with and which dealer did you order from? I know Summit carries Thorley's, but they don't list the ceramic coated headers online. How is the fitment around a PS box? I may splurge for an AGR steering box while I'm at it since my old one is leaking and worn out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 07:51 PM

The part number that I purchased is different.....only because I purchased them in 19 8 9......

They are the triple nickel set with AIR. They fit better than anything else around the steering box as well. I have never been happier with a set of 'off the shelf' headers, thats for sure.

I have done a fair amount of work with the guys at Thorley, even before they started ceramic coating them. I just used to call and have them pull a set off the line before nickel and they would ship them off to me so that I could send them out to have them coated. Nice guys to work with......
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 03, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Hey chicane67 [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
Any chance of a close-up header ground clearance pic or 2 of those Thorley headers on your Camaro?
And from your web site, it also looked like you are using tubular subframe connectors on your ride. Any other pics of those as well?
Thanks!
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech

I just ordered a set for my 69 . I have a picture someone sent me, but I don't know how to post it. I can send it to someone here if they want to post it. Let me know.
They do have really good ground clearance. Power steering clearance is good also. I ordered mine from Summit @ $487 for the ceramic coated. I got in on the 10% off so that really helped. I was told it would be about 3 weeks before delivery. Just add a -C behind your order for the ceramic coating.
Guy
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 04:40 PM
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

Here are my Thorley's. The pic was taken kinda low to the ground, but you can see how nicely they tuck up under the car. In fact, when the car is cold, the passenger side rattles a bit.

-Marc

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Do they make the Thorleys in 1 3/4?

Also, are those "Dougs" or "Thorleys"? I understand they are two different companies. Thanks.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 09:34 PM
Senior Tech

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 03, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks guys! That is exactly the information I needed. Now all I have to do is wait for a Summit discount code to be issued...

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 03, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech

I just purchased a set of Doug Thorley's from Summit w/discount for my '67 RS and they fit tight. Passenger side hits a little but that can be fixed. Easy to install but jack the driver side up high to get them in.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 03, 02:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Tom, those have 2 1/2" collectors, don't they? Do yours go into a 2 1/2" system?

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 03, 02:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage
choptop, my car is not lowered but there is a pic of the Thorley's in my link.

Hope it helps.

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 03, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks guys! I'm convinced the Thorley's will work great for my needs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode