327 crank in a 400 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What would be the result of putting a 327 crank in a 400 motor. Has anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 03:12 PM
Team Member

June 1997 Hot Rod built an engine like this. With .030 O/S bore it was a 352 C.I
They used Ford L6 rods and 11:1 custom pistons. bottom line was 435 Ft-Lb's at 3800 RPM and 412 H.P at 5700 RPM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech

According to the article it's a sweet motor. Runs on "cat pee" gas and makes lot's of grunt with no trace of detonation. I called the shop that did the motor and asked about swapping in a bigger cam and heads with larger valves - the goal of course being a motor with the same characteristics but even more power. They seemed fairly clueless about the possibilities and I haven't had time to pursue it any further. Personally, I think it's a great combo with lots more potential.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 00, 06:18 PM

Smile

Right on, Rocky,

Its a small block, like an old 348 big block. One of the engines people have overlooked.

I would use the new cheap 6" Elgin rods or even 6.125" or longer ones. Bore it .060" over and come up with a 357+.

An excellent high revving engine that should behave just like a Z-engine on steroids if the heads and cam are picked right so that it can breathe.

Use a medium journal crank and bearing spacers along with correct pistons and have at it. IMHO pdq67

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 00, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

If I remember right, the 352 in the Hot Rod also had AFR 305 heads and a Comp Hydraulic Roller with 215 @.050 and .525 lift. I think they used the 305 heads so they could use a partially dished piston and still get the 11:1 compression. Man, I spent a few months in Physics class dreaming about building one with a larger cam and some 195 AFR's and screaming it to about 7 grand and tearing up the streets. I think PDQ67 and I have similar theories about building motors: Big bore, small stroke, long rods, big heads, small cam and dual plane intakes. I now have a 400 to go along with the 327 crank I've been saving, but I think I'm gonna build a 406 for more low end. Ooops, went off the subject a bit, sorry. As compared to a 355, I think the 352 would TEAR it up!!! Flatter and wider torque curve, better Bore/stroke and rod/stroke ratios, quicker revs, and very usuable power. I don't think you could go wrong. Go get 'em.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 00, 01:28 PM
Senior Tech

I've got a 400 SB in my '69 that I'm currently rebuilding. Turns out my "rebuilt rods" were apparently rebuilt in Mexico (or a shop worthy of being south of the border - thank you very much Speed-O-Motive) and were way out of spec - the crank sucked as well. Anyway, I spun a bearing and now it's rebuild time with a reputable local machine shop.

This time around I'm going with AFR 195 heads, a CC hydraulic roller in the 230/236 duration range, and flat tops for 10.5 - 1 compression. It should give me around 500 HP/lb.ft. of torque.

The very long rod motor is still tempting because of the resistance to detonation and ability to live happily on el-crappo gas. I would think that if you took the basic 352 and added AFR 195 heads with 2.02/1.60 valves (adjusting the chamber size to keep the compression up there) and a healthy roller cam you would easily pump the power numbers up to the high 400 range. Maybe next time.....

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 00, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

I'm not saying this wouldn't be a good engine, but the result would be a slower car. Compared to a 400 built the same.

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 03:18 PM

Smile

Lonnie,
We realize there are more powerful engines out there but this combo has a touch of the rpm potential of the little Z engine and the power of a bigger one. Gear it right, and it will give the big boys fits, just like the little Z did in its heyday.

And if built "tight", should be pretty detonation free with a high CR., thats all.

I would try to put as small a combustion chamber as I can find on it to take advantage of this. IMHO.

And if it's fun quotient isn't high enough, then, it's "more power Scotty, or #1!!! A bb is just a boneyard away. He, He!!! pdq67

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

My mind only thinks in 1/4 mile blocks. He asked about the result and I told him. I like all SBC's. If he wants something different, or is restricted to cubes for some kind of racing, then I say build it. If he wants to go as fast/quick as he can on the same budget, keep the 400 crank in it.

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 00, 07:09 PM

Smile

Right on, Lonnie. pdq67

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I just thinking of building something different. Something out of the ordinary.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 00, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

I'm with Lonnie67. There is no replacement for displacement.....

GO BIG OR STAY HOME!

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode