Burning up Catalytic Converter - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 04, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Now What?
I have a 1991 Camaro Z28 350 5.7 115,000 miles
It was time to have a smog check and she was running a little rough. By the way I live in California.
So I decided before I take her into the smog shop I'll tune her up new Cap, Rotor, Plugs, wires.
Rough ideal didn't go away.

Took her to my mechanic, he said I had a bad fuel injector. Suggested I replace all the Fuel Injectors. So I decided to replace all the fuel injectors and the EGR valve, fuel filter, and all other filters. Had a leak in the intake manifold gasket, so I replaced the gasket to.
She is Running Like New Again. Ya Ya !

The day came to have a smog check.
I had high hopes she would pass the new smog test but she didn't pass.
Had to take her to a muffler shop and have new Cats installed, new muffler, new tail pipes.
Back to the smog place.
She Passed with flying colors Ya Ya!

Now to my newest problem.
After driving her for about two weeks I heard a rattle coming from under the car. Took her back to the muffler shop.
The Guy at the muffler shop said that my Cat was cooked because the air flow to my converter wasn't shutting off.
He replaced Cat at no charge to me, Saved me 200 bucks. But if it happens again your getting the bill.
But now I guess I'll have to take her back to my mechanic and find out why the air flow to the converter doesn't stop.
Anyone out there had this problem?
What was the cause?
How did you fix it?

Thanks for any help

Runaway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 04, 04:20 AM
a67

Air flow to the cat is controlled by the divertor valve assembly. Two solenoid controlled valves run the air pump output to one of three places: divert (dumped overboard), port (into the exhaust manifolds), or to the cat.

If the muffler shop guy is correct then either the divertor valve assembly is bad or the ECM is bad (it controls the soleniods).

Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode