plug wires...need help - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

I am putting a new cap and rotor on my distributor (male HEI). I am trying to purchase new plug wires from summit and a couple questions came up. I see most or many of the wires come not assembled. What exactly does that mean? How big of a deal is that? Also, i was looking at 8mm and 8.8mm, does it make that big a difference which ones i get? Thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 06:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The unassembled wires let you cut to the exact size you need. They usually include distributor end connectores for both regular and hei distributers, and a lil 2 piece crimping tool you put in a vice and whack with a hammer to connect the ends.

The "prefit" wires are often either long n floppy, or hard to fit with headers. As for 8 or 9 mil, get the ones that fit the wire looms you will use.

I use Taylor Spiral core, 8mm with a 135 degree boot. They are cut to size, with both connector types, and they are absolutely burnproof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Thanks for the great info. Would you recommend going with the disassmebled wire then? As long as it comes with the crimping tool i guess i should be ok. I am totally clueless when it comes to distributor and wire stuff. Whats the advantage of the 135 degree boot, better header clearence? I just put new hooker super comp headers on and need to make sure the plug boots clear the headers. Not a lot of room as you probably know. Last question, i assume i could use the Taylor Spiral wires you mention with an Accel distributor?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 06:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

as long as you have a vise, crimping the ends is a breeze.

The taylors come with both male HEI and standard boots and connectors. I have an Accell Breakerless on my car, it has standard connectors tho.

Either the 90 or 135 will clear the headers, whichever fits best for you. The 135's actually come off the plug at about a 45 degree angle.

Assuming you have straight plug heads, either will probably fit ok.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Christopher

Send a message via AIM to ctrghtous
crimping the wires is really easy and the disassembled ones are better, you can choose to run them over the valve covers and visible or around the sides and largely out of sight. I have 90 degree boots on mine but Dynomax headers, and the 135's would hit my headers. Also if you end up hitting the header at some location Summit and Jegs and probably your local parts store sell wire protectors that can touch the headers so you don't burn the wires

Chris
68 camaro, sbc 385 (going together), holley 4150 750cfm, 4 spd, gm HEI, performer RPM intake
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech
Christopher

Send a message via AIM to ctrghtous
also if you are concerned about the connector ends and getting the wrong ones you can get the parts at Napa both the boots and connectors of you don't get everything you need

Chris
68 camaro, sbc 385 (going together), holley 4150 750cfm, 4 spd, gm HEI, performer RPM intake
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 05, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Thanks for the info. I think i am all set.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 05, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech

The only do-it-yourself wires I have seen were junk. They had a conductive plastic core similar to garbage bag material. They worked fine for a few months and failed. Hopefully the wires you are considering are better quality.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode