stainless bolts on aluminum - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Question

I used a stainless bolt kit for my sbc engine. I was talking to a nut and bolt wholesaler and he said not to use stainless fasteners for aluminum.(electrolysis?)

I have aluminum heads and aluminum intake.Should I replace the intake bolts with standard steel bolts? Does this only apply to parts that come into contact with coolant?

Thanks in advance, Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 02:58 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I use stainless bolts in my aluminum heads, intake, and water pump with no problems after 3.5 years.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 04:33 AM
Senior Tech

Yes there can be a problem. Use some sort of lube especially if the bolt gets into the water jacket.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 08:13 AM

Question

Aren't S/S bolts supposed to use moly "anti-sieze" b/c of possible galling regardless?

pdq67

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 01:12 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Just use anti-seize and you will be fine. I have nothing but aluminum and stainless all over my car and I haven't had a problem. Anti-sieze is a good idea whenever you are threading a bolt into aluminum (even if it is steel, stainless, aluminum, copper, etc..) aluminum likes to gall.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Angry

Thanks guys! Yes I try to use anti-seize on everything aluminum. The only place I dont is where a thread sealer is called for (rocker stud that goes into intake runner,bolt that goes into coolant passage etc...)

Thanks again, Ray
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 06:24 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Dissimilar metal corrosion is a common problem seen in aviation applications. I know jet engine cowlings see a lot of this where the stainless steel doublers were layed over the aluminum skins. Follow the others advice posted above and you'll be fine. We use a lot of mastinox during assembly in aviation, but I wouldn't advise it's use since it is a known carcinagen (but what isn't a carcinagen in aviation). Always use anti-sieze on stainless fittings and hardware to prevent the galling that stainless is so well know for.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 04, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I agree with the above comments, but it is important on any engine to change the coolant regularly. This keeps the anti-corrosion packages fresh and doing their job.

Non-coolant passage fasteners won't be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode