Engine cooling - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 03, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Question

What are some of your opinions about having a pusher fan on one side of the rad. and a puller fan on the other?

I've heard that the 2 cancel each other out....others say that it would help dramatically!

Any thoughts on this setup?

I currently have a 16" SPAL thin fan and would like to add another as a PUSHER fan on the other side for extra cooling

Thanks.

1969 Camaro - 468ci/700r4/3.73 - 11sec and drove her home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

bump
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 06:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

I have the same fan on an aluminum radiator + zz4 in 69 camaro. With a 180* thermostat, i only exceed 180 while parked. I have the temp control at ON 200* and OFF at 185*. It always operates in that range. The addition of an extra fan would only cool it a little faster when the fan (fans) are ON. And only after reaching the fan control temperature. So, the temperature would not really decrease, it would just cool it a little faster after reaching the sensor ON temperature. Whats your thermostat temperature?
Whats your sensor ON temperature?

Your sensor ON temperature should be at least 15* greater than the thermostat temperature to avoid fan operation while at crusing speeds.

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 06:26 PM

I've heard the same thing.

I am running fans on both sides. What happens to the next round if one fan $hit$ the bed? I would hate to go home early for that reason, I can find plenty of other ways to go out early!

Smink's Toy<br /><br /><a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
href="http://home.earthlink.net/~ccrtracing2/smallblocks.htm" target="_blank">http://home.earthlink.net/~ccrtracing2/smallblocks.htm</a>
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 03, 06:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

Those are some hardcore toys, Smink. I guess your not driving them home anyway, are you? Do you notice any temp difference between a single pull, and the push/pull? Or, are you using a push/pull for reliability?

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 07:23 AM

It may be my imagination but I believe the puller does the better job. Yes they are both installed for the reliability.
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I have 2 SPAL they are both PULL and want to reverse the polarity so that the other becomes a PUSH instead. I spoke to SPAL and told me that the blade config would be incorrect...

Any thoughts??

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 09:21 AM

A 'Pull' fan is stated to be more effienct than a 'pusher' for a couple of reasons.

1. Installing a fan on the front of the radiator actually blocks surface area for cooling.

2. Installing a fan on the rear of the radiator with a shroud actually increases shroud pressurization which increases core efficiency.

3. If using two fans, one on each side, they need to be the same fan with the same CFM rating AND they need to be staggered/offset from each other a not to create a static pressure between the two fans themselves.

SPAL recommends the use of a single 16" Pull fan for HD applications (part# 30102002). The use of their 'Twin" fan with shroud only increases CFM rating by roughly 400 CFM. Depending on on your core dimentions and core efficiency you might consider running a 16" and an AUX 10" to mount on one side. Using the single 10" as a back up or for supplemental cooler.

Blade type is also something to consider. A single strait blade type fan is slightly less efficient as compared to a curved blade.

If you are looking for one fan to do the job, you might want to consider the use of (yeah I know.....) the fan off of the Lincon MKVIII. It is a single, curved blade, two speed fan that pulls over 5000CFM. That is more than everyone else on the market for one single fan. I have been using them in the most severe applications, ie, big block,ac,auto,high stall in Tucson Arizona daytime summer heat......Max effort Desert racing and in max effort quote-un-quote street cars (LOL). and I have found no better. It has a built in shroud and its dimentions are easy on the installation.

Food for thought..........

Hey look at that I found a picture on a friends site: http://soderblom.net/bronco/tech/fan/2.jpg

And another link on electric fans LOADED WITH INFO : http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/...rkVIII_Fan.htm

[ 03-10-2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: chicane67 ]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I am currently using a 16" SPAL THINLINE (big block waterpump space limitations) puller right now, it's about 1300CFM, it's about 2" thick overall. It has worked perferctly so far...

I wanted to another to help me with my new build up. I expect it to generate more heat, maybe..?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 10:20 AM

Yup, you said big block. Now I am understanding your delimma a little better.

I guess a two fan set-up would be the ticket there. As the H20 pump pulley would fit between the two fan motors.

And now looking at the pics on your site, you are core surface limited too.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by chicane67:
Yup, you said big block. Now I am understanding your delimma a little better.

I guess a two fan set-up would be the ticket there. As the H20 pump pulley would fit between the two fan motors.

And now looking at the pics on your site, you are core surface limited too.
No kidding, I guess I'll have to wait and see if the new motor will runner a lot hotter. If that is the case, I may need to go to a dual fan setup. This H2O pump clearance is a PIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode