How much air for air adaptor in plug hole? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Gary

Question

I am about to break in my new cam (Comp Cam 280S Magnum) with the inner springs left out. After break-in I need to put the inner springs back in. The question I have is how much air do I use on the air hold thing that goes into the spark plug hole? I assume I get the cylinder to TDC and then pump air in before using the spring compressor to remove and add the inner spring. Are there any tricks to doing the springs? Are all valves accessible? I bought one of those $50 spring compressors from Jegs and the air hold valves. Do I just attach the compressor line to the adaptor and let ?? pounds of air in and release when the valves are done?

By the way this is on a 396 with the solid cam.

Thanks! [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]

1968 Chevelle SS396
396/375 hp L78
4-speed Muncie M21
3.73 12 Bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 09:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

First off - WELCOME to Team Camaro ! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

The air pressure should be above 80#'s to make sure the valve(s) remain on their seat and do not come loose and attempt to drop into the cylinder bore as you work. Under normal circumstances engines see way more that the 100~120psi most compressors supply so the upper amount of pressure doesn't really matter here.
It is not necessary to have the cylinder at TDC - it won't matter anyway as soon as you put air pressure to the cylinder, unless you lock the flywheel mechanically* in place, as the air pressure will 'Roll' the engine as the piston moves to the bottom of it's travel.
Be sure to "pre-wack" (use a plastic headed mallet) the valve retainers to loosen the split-locks if they have been in place for awhile.

"Do I just attach the compressor line to the adaptor and let ?? pounds of air in and release when the valves are done?" - yup...

All the valves should be accessible - you may need to remove little things like brackets or vac. lines. (well - and of course the valve covers... )

Good luck - post back with other questions if necessary and someone here will help out!

note: * If you leave the trans (manual) in gear and use the driveline to hold the engine from rotating make sure the E-brake is set & the car is well blocked and not up on stands where the drive wheels are in contact with the ground. IT WILL MOVE!

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 04, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Gary

Thanks! That will help a bunch. I'll make sure the wheels are blocked, tranny in gear, and e brake set. I was also told to leave the other plugs in place to help assist the resistance to crank roll. I'll let you know how it goes.

1968 Chevelle SS396
396/375 hp L78
4-speed Muncie M21
3.73 12 Bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode