010 020 block with steel crank bowtie heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Question

this going to be my first engin bulid .
i have a 010 020 block that came out of a 1975 chevrolet blazer it is 4 bolt main
I also have a set of cast iron heads that are bowtie angle plugs i have a set of steel crank caps a elbroke peromer intake
a 850 qujet and pink rods now hear whear i need help whate i need to go with it cam ?
and i also have a set of rollor rockerarm 5.2
please help tell me what i need to do to get 400-450 hp

------------------
TONY PARDUE
74Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

Talking

Tony,
These are very good building block to start with, Go to the engine & drivetrain section (which we are in) and look at
Chris Hill another What HP. If you read all of the way through it you will see my comination which Chris says will make 450 HP through the mufflers.
The one part that you will not be able to use is the Edelbrock Performer intake because of it's design. You might be able to use the Edelbrock Performer RPM but I have had better luck with a Victor JR. Even on the street.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

thanks what would you do to the block

------------------
TONY PARDUE
74Z28

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 12:00 PM

The block you have will work great. The 010 020 means the block has a high nickle content. These are what many would consider the poor mans bowtie block. This is the type of block that I am using in my Monza drag car which makes 481hp(motor only). I also shoot a 200hp shot of nitrous into it on a regular basis and have not had any problems.

I agree with idoxlr8, you will want a good open plenium intake like the Vic Jr. or Team G if you plan to get that motor around 450hp. You might also what to look into getting a holley 750. It will perform better and be easier to tune at the track.

Another thing that you will have to do is have those bowtie heads ported. They just won't flow enough in stock form to get you to the 450+hp mark. You won't need a full port, just a good bowl blend. Just take a grinder and clean up the bowls, smooth the short-turn radius, narrow and smooth the guides, clean up any casting flash in the runners, and port match it to the intake. For a first timer, it may take a couple of weekends, but you will be happy with the performance gain.

------------------
Chris Hill

-79 Malibu (Soon to have a fog fed 454 Big Block)

-Alston Backhalfed 76 Monza
[email protected] w/1.48 60 ft (Motor Only)
[email protected] w/1.40 60 ft (with nitrous, turning it off 3/4 way down the track) Should have high 9s with full nitrous run!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

thanks cris and the first replay what all would you have done to the block and how much to bore it i really dont know a lot thanks tony

------------------
TONY PARDUE
74Z28
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Tony,

I am also running a 010 020 block.
1. I would shop around and look for a great (not good) machine shop. The owner will take the time to show you around and will talk to you about what you want to have done. His shop will be clean and organized. I used a guy up in SAN MATEO Ca. named Al Liest. Great guy.
2. install an ARP stud kit after having the block cleaned, I would run a tap through the bolt holes.
3. have the mains checked for alignment (if need be gat it ligned HONED not bored as this removes to much metal)
4. have the deck surfaced
4. bored to the next standard overbore that you need, probably .030 over. finished hone with a deck plate.

Before you get the machine work done though you need to purchase all of your riciprocating parts (pistons, rings) and have all of you other parts reconditioned so that the machinist knows where to set the clearances for these parts and how to finish the cylinders.

I spent alot of money on my crankshaft by haveing it turned 010/010 and then polished and re-nitrided for hardness. The I bought new rods (Eagle 4340) and pistons and rings and had everything balanced. I also had the check my balancer (which lead me to by a Fluidamper) because it turned out to have a cracked hub.

My complete set-up is a little extreme but I would rather spend the money on good parts and work than have it break!!!

As far as you heads go you will definatly need some work on them. Read How to build CHEVY Small Blocks on a budget. Lots of good INFO.

------------------
TONY
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Tony,

I am also running a 010 020 block.
1. I would shop around and look for a great (not good) machine shop. The owner will take the time to show you around and will talk to you about what you want to have done. His shop will be clean and organized. I used a guy up in SAN MATEO Ca. named Al Liest. Great guy.
2. install an ARP stud kit after having the block cleaned, I would run a tap through the bolt holes.
3. have the mains checked for alignment (if need be gat it ligned HONED not bored as this removes to much metal)
4. have the deck surfaced
4. bored to the next standard overbore that you need, probably .030 over. finished hone with a deck plate.

Before you get the machine work done though you need to purchase all of your riciprocating parts (pistons, rings) and have all of you other parts reconditioned so that the machinist knows where to set the clearances for these parts and how to finish the cylinders.

I spent alot of money on my crankshaft by haveing it turned 010/010 and then polished and re-nitrided for hardness. The I bought new rods (Eagle 4340) and pistons and rings and had everything balanced. I also had the check my balancer (which lead me to by a Fluidamper) because it turned out to have a cracked hub.

My complete set-up is a little extreme but I would rather spend the money on good parts and work than have it break!!!

As far as you heads go you will definatly need some work on them. Read How to build CHEVY Small Blocks on a budget. Lots of good INFO.

------------------
TONY
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

The book idoxlr8 speaks of is called How To Build Max Perf Chevy Small-Blocks On A Budget.It is written by David Vizard.Exellent reading!

But then again everything that I have read by David Vizard has been exellent.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Agreed,
David Vizard is a very through and Knowledgable Man and we are fortunate to learn from his expierence!

Those older books like How to HOT ROD a small block chevy are way out of date with todays technology and CAM and Cylinder Head Progress
------------------
TONY

[This message has been edited by idoxlr8 (edited 01-01-2001).]
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

THANKS ILL WILL KEEP YOU INFO .
WOULD YOU STROKE IT OR NOT I HAVE ALOT OF PARTS A SET OF DOUBLE HUMP HEADS A 327 MOTO AND A 283 AND A RED MOTOR OUT OF A 72 CHEYNNE PICK UP

------------------
TONY PARDUE
74Z28
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 02:13 PM

Cool

Tony, idoxlr8 has given you great advice on what to do with the block. The heads are a good piece and were about as good as it got back in the day. However, to reach your goal of around 450hp, they will need a bit of porting like I said before. Read every porting article, book, etc. you can get your hands on. Its really not as hard as most people think it is.

------------------
Chris Hill

-79 Malibu (Soon to have a fog fed 454 Big Block)

-Alston Backhalfed 76 Monza
[email protected] w/1.48 60 ft (Motor Only)
[email protected] w/1.40 60 ft (with nitrous, turning it off 3/4 way down the track) Should have high 9s with full nitrous run!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 03:12 PM

Smile

Biggest problem I've had in the past is getting up enough nerve to grab hold a that 30,000rpm Du-mor grinder with the cheap stones in it.

The actual minor bowl work, machining lines, casting flash and dingleberry clean-up is relatively easy. Just be careful around your valve seats and don't gouge them with the grinder.

Also don't go hog wild, just a minor clean-up without a flow bench is about it unless a person is experienced. But, you'd be amazed at what alittle will do. pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode