big block head gasket - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 03, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
kip

is anyone running a gasket thinner than .039 on their big blocks, could you list the part number/manufacturer? not looking for custom copper either...
thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 03, 05:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

You didn't say what bore and block type but check with Chevy/GM as they make a Steel Shim that's @.022" for both the MarkIV and the GenV.

#14015351 = MkIV @ 4.250
#12555728 = GenV @ 4.250

All other s I know of are above .038"

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 03, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
kip

great, thanks vintage68.
sorry for the lack of info, its an early 70's 30 over 454(4X4.28)goin in my friends 68 coupe.
0.022 would be great. i will check those out. i ran a 0.015 steel shim on a 327 and am looking for something similar to dial in the compression.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 03, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
kip

just realized mkIV/genV is '87-95. would these gaskets not work on a 70's block? bear with me, i'm new to big blocks...
thanks again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 03, 05:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Angry

The "70's" block should be a Mark IV type.
They were producted from 1965 to 1990.
Gen V was producted from 1991 to 1995.
Gen VI's were started, along with the "Vortech" name, in 1996.
The gasket # for Mark IV will work fine. And if the block turns out to be a Gen V then there is a gasket for that too. I have heard of a Shim-type for Gen VI - but I've never seen or used one.
Be sure to lay-it-up on both the block and head to be sure it completely lines up, just good engine building practice.
Miss one hole and you are looking for overheating and other problems.
On a Gen V/VI be sure the front block casting hole is blocked off by the gasket and the coolant goes through the rear hole or the rear of the block will get 'Mega-Hot' and the gauge will read fine.

btw - I always use Chevy/GM Gaskets on these, but Mr.Gasket used to sell a Steel Shim type for the Mark IV as part #1131 - may still be available.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 03, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
kip

i found the first gasket you mentioned from GM, #14015351, 0.022 steel shim for '65-90 blocks. that'll get us in the compression window we're shootin for without shaving the heads,cheaper also. i'll check out the mr. gasket part you mentioned.
thanks for the help!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 03, 07:33 AM
Senior Tech

Kip, Not sure if you are using iron or aluminum heads.Just throwing it out there so you are aware. If you are going to use aluminum heads, you shouldn't use steel shim head gaskets.

Dean
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 03, 01:17 PM

Smile

I gave like $18 for my pair of aftermarket .022" steel shims a while ago before I put my Mark IV, 496 together so they are out there and not priced too bad, imho..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode