Problems with Mech Secondaries ...HELP - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have just installed a ned 750 edelbrock carb that comes with mech secondaries it works great until I hammer it and then it bogs down and then takes off. Is there any way to stop it from boggin out. It never did it before with the 600 vac secondaries. THe only time it bogs is if u hammer it other than that it runs strong and sounds great

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 71 gm heads 74cc 1.72in 1.50ex,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 3.55 eaton posi..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 04:09 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

I don't know Carter/Edelbrock carb all that well, but you r problem is not enough of a fuel shot (out of the squirter) to cover the hole created when you open the throttle blades abruptly. If I remember right there is a rod that you can adjust to give you more or less of a shot. I am sure many of the guys here can give you the details on how to tune your carb (if it was a Holley I could give you details).

Royce
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech

I had the same prob with my Carter 600 right out of the box. Believe it or not, I dropped one jet size on the primary side and it took care of it. The carb may be a touch on the big side for your combo, also which would cause a similar hesitation.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech

You should not be running a mechanical secondary carb with an automatic transmission unless your stall speed is very high (> 3000RPM). There has been quite a bit of discussion lately about 750 carbs on 350SBC motors. You'll get much better drivability and very good performance for the street out of a 600. 750CFM can be a bit tweeky, but is a reasonable choice. However with mechanical secondaries, the 750 is questionable. Those carbs are better suited for a high compression, race-fuel, big cam, balls-to-the-walls drag race motor with a manual transmission.

-dnult
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 02, 06:39 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

There is no reason that carb should not work on his engine. Mechanical secondaries are fine on the street and they actually work better (performance wise) on light cars. Vavuum secondaries are more thrifty with fuel economy and work fine on heavy cars (sure they will work on light cars too). I am not trying to turn this into a which carb is better flame contest. Everyone has their opinions and reasons for liking one or the other. My point is you can (and I do) run a mechanical secondary carb on the street. There is more than one kind of secondary linkage, a 1 - 1 linkage would not be good on the street, but he does not have that set up. As long as you keep your foot out of it the secondaries don't open. To each his own, just thought I woul offer an opinion.

Royce
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 02, 12:31 AM
Senior Tech

i thought the Edelbrock was similar to a Q-jet, in that the actual throttle blades are mechanical, but the air door opens up only as much as is needed to allow enough airflow to get the job done, based on vacuum overcoming a spring or something. i know on a q-jet you can adjust how fast the air door opens- not sure about the Edelbrock, but i think there is something. if it is new, did it not come with an instruction book? my Edelbrock RPM 850 Q-jet came with a tuning book that was quite thorough and had all sorts of charts and stuff and explained the theory behind carburetor operation.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 02, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech

Which carb do you have? the one that looks like a Qjet or the one that looks like an AFB.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have the afb style carb
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech

It has a weighted air valve that controlls the sec opening. Normally they work fine. Check the float level and the sec jetting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode