boring an original - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 03, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

heres a ? that could lead to death , of a #s matching 327.
I have a 67/327-210hp,.30 over.It needs to be cleaned up. Can I go .60 over without destroying the engine? Some say .90 some say NO WAY! others tell me to check nickle content in a chevy book but I have no clue where to find this book. I'm hoping someone has already been through this.
Please help I dont want to end up pulling a DR. kavorkian on my 327.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 03, 04:11 PM

Can you go .040 ?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 03, 05:01 PM
Kevin

Joe, You signed up quick [img]smile.gif[/img] Welcome to the board. search around and have fun!

Kevin

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 03, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech

How much of a lip is their just below the deck - where the rings stop? Ask a respectable machinist what they think you can do for your motor. It really depends on how much wear there is and how well centered the casting is.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 03, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech

I have a 1969 DZ "010" block that has the same problem. A good machine shop can sonic test the bores for core shift, and give you an opinion as to what you can do. The other option is having the bores sleeved, which I know nothing about. Again, I think a good, reputable machine shop can get you where you want to be.

Rob

Robert

'69 X-33 since 1984

"Its all crazy..."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 03, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Angry

Looks like sonic testing is the answer.I believe the lip is to much for .40.thanks everybody for your input. Kevin you were right, great place for good info.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 03, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I would be very suprised if a 67 block will not go .060" over. The 75-76 and later blocks are made in Mexico; they are a little thinner and have more porosity problems (less likely to go .060) IMO.

Sonic testing will let the machine shop offset the bores slightly so that max thickness remains on the thrust side.

If you want to really get max power out of a 4.060 block you may consider using hard block and doing a short fill. It adds to the cylinder wall strength and improves ring sealing with no adverse cooling problems. My 383 (actually 388) has been 4.060 for 2-3 years now with many 1/4 mile passes and 12k street miles w/o any hard block - its a '72 four bolt casting.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 03, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Nothing like good old fashioned Chevy horsepower.I'll post my findings incase anyone else comes up with this dilema. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode