Valve setting problems...HELP!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 04, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

I finally got my 427 to broken in. (Lunati
hydraulic cam, 290/290 duration, [email protected], .544 lift) But the only way I could get it to start it was to tighten the intake adjustment nut to Zero lash, using the EO/IC method, and then loosen it 1 turn. (Boy, were they loose....but I got maximum compression of 110 psi there.

After break in, I reset the valves to zero lash + 1/4 turn, again using he EO/IC method, but it will not start. I don't see how this makes a difference, but I'm using Comp roller tip rockers.

I don't think I am overtightening, as I ran the motor for a minute before resetting, to make sure the lifters were pumped, and was very, very careful about stopping when I felt the slightest drag while spinning the push rods.

Why would I get higher compression with loose valves, which would make the intake open later, and close sooner, reducing compression?

What is the problem?
What can I do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 04, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech

Loosening the lash should raise the cranking pressure. Did you degree the cam?
When you adjust the lifters, don't spin the pushrods, they can be pretty tight and still spin. Loosen the rocker arm until you can move the pushrod up and down. Slowly tighten the adjustment until the slack is taken up, where the pushrod just stops going up and down easily, then another 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 04, 06:04 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
You should have more cranking compression than 110 lbs. It really sounds like you are going way past zero lash.

The spin the pushrod method of finding zero lash really requires an experienced touch. Try bouncing (if there is any lash the pushrod will bounce or rattle as you jiggle it up and down) the pushrod up and down between the lifter and rocker and tighten the adjustment until the pushrod just stops bouncing. Loosen it just a touch to get it to bounce and then tighten just enough to take the bounce away. From there go 1/4 - 1/2 turn to add the proper preload.

EO/IC is the most accurate but try this, pull the #1 plug (or all to make turning the engine over easier) and turn the engine over by hand and watch the dampner to see when it's about 90 degs away from TDC. Place your thumb or finger in the #1 plug hole and turn the engine (assuming the timing marks are correct) over until the mark on the dampner is at TDC. If you felt the compression push your thumb out of the hole you have #1 at TDC. Caution: If you have the rockers so tight that the valves are being held open when they should be closed you may not feel any compression as #1 comes to TDC.

Both valves should be closed and the lifters should be on the base circle enough that you can adjust the lash and preload on both rockers. If you didn't feel any compression on #1 then go over to #6 and adjust there instead of #1.

From there mark your dampner every 90 degs and turn the engine to the next mark. Follow the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 every 90 degs. If you started on #6 go to 5 next...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 04, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech

How did it run when you had them loose? It might be that the outer ring of the dampner has slipped and you might not be getting exact readings.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 04, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

By eye, the timing mark lines up with the balancer, but I degreed the cam, and found it to be 1-2 degrees retarded. (I did not have a stop, so I used a magnetic dial indicator)
I have used 3 methods for finding zero lash.
1. rattling the push rod up and down.
2. twisting the rod
3. feeler gauge
All were within 1-2 clicks of each other...certainly closer than the difference between 1/4 to 1/2 turn preload.

Dennis, I know it sounds like I'm going way past zero lash, but after setting them half a dozen times, using different methods, and getting virtually the same results, I can't believe that's the problem.

BTW, I squirted oil in one cyl and rechecked the compression....it did not change. I was dilligent about staggering the rings, and making sure the dot was up when I put the motor together.

Signed,
Baffled and Frustrated
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 04, 05:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

What rocker arms are you using? Have you made sure that the rocker body is not hitting the spring retainer? Pretty common with some roller rocker/spring combos. If they are they will start to open the valve even though the pushrod is still loose. By the time you have the pushrod slack taken out you can be hanging a valve open.

It's got to be something like this to affect the compression. And if adjusting them correctly drops the compression then valves have to be partially open.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 04, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gary

I just finished reading a post about the dots on the timing gear. I definately set mine dot-to-dot, rather that both pointing straight up. However, early in the process of trying to start the motor (at the time, thinking it was an ignition problem), I reversed the distributor 180 degrees thinking that might be why it would not start. Well, it was like the 4th of July fireworks show coming from the carb. So I put it back.

I thought I was careful about setting the timing chain, but what if I actually set it up one or two teeth off?

Would that make the engine want to run only with loose push rods?

Short of removing the balancer, and timing cover, is there a way to check the alignment? God, I hope so....you have no idea how hard it was to install the balancer!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 04, 04:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You can check the cam alignment with it together, but you'll have to have the cam card, and a degree wheel kit with a screw in the plug hole stop to help find true tdc.

And I know it's messy, but the only way to set hydraulic lifters is WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.

The oil will clean up, honest....

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode