Team Camaro Tech banner

A trick to fix hurst shifter noise/rattles!!

10K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  cody 
#1 ·
This is a pretty homemade trick i just did today,nothing special, i have a dougnash five speed with the external hurst shifter, like muncies, richmonds, etc.. well at higher rpms in any gear my shifter would make this terrible rattling vibration noise. I have replaced all mounts, clutch, tranny rebuilt, had flywheel and clutch balanced, and it wouldn't go away, finally after talking to other hurst owners they said theres did it some too. So I figured those shifters are just naturally slighty noisy. So today i went out to fix it. I took off the chrome handle from the shifter, at the bottom of the shifter it took some slightly thick rubber and rapped it around the bottom of the shifter handle, where the handle meets the shifter and held it on there with some electrical tape, rapped it all around, you have to use skinny pieces because it can't cover the shifter holes( where the bolts go through) then i put it back in the shifter, had to use a little longer bolt on the bottom hole, then bolted it back together, now the rubber acts as an insulator from the shifter and the handle.and I can barely hear the shifter ratttle at all, just a tiny bit. Worked good! That rattling was the most annoying thing ever!

#2 ·
I believe I speak for everyone when I say thanks for the tip Cody.

Steve's right cody, thanks......

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

[This message has been edited by stevo camaro (edited 02-06-2002).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.