Header Selection - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a 69' Z/28 with a set of very old looking headers on it. I am about to put power steering on the car and was wondering what new headers will work without getting into the power steering box? I don't feel so bad about putting a dimple in the old set, but I would rather not bend a nice jet-hot header. I am looking to upgrade the headers and wanted to get some feedback before I do. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 03, 02:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

As far as fit goes, I've always had the best luck with Hedman's products. Hooker Comps or Super Comps will fit with the power steering setup, but they are tight around the oil filter and plugs.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 03, 06:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Hooker Comps fit fine but I don't like the way the drivers side hangs down lower than the right. Super Comps are not that way so I'm told.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 03, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech
Al

My 1 3/4" supercomps are at least 1" lower on the driver's side. Pleny of plug clearance with angle plugs, plenty of oil filter clearance.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 03, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Angry

I just installed a set of Flowtech Shorty Style headers on my 67. I had to dimple the #3 Cylinder tube a little to clear the steering box, but that's all they required to fit. I like the shorty stle headers, they don't hang down below the frame rails so they have clean look from the side of the car. I have had them on for about 2 weeks now. They seem to be a quality header. Summit sells them for $89.00. They are compairable to the headmans of the same type in wall thickness and flange thinkness and are $40.00 cheaper.

They say these will not fit a colume shift car, well they are right. I was able to get them to work by rotating the shift lever where it mounts to the frame. My indicator on the shifter ia a little off though. I will be going to a stock console and shifter after I buy a turbo 350 trans. I have the stock shifter set for my 67, I don't see were they will have any fit problems for an automatic.

BTW:
they say no manual cars eaither.

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

There are a lot of posts with recommendations for the Dynomax headers. I just got a set and installed them yesterday. They fit nice, with a quarter inch clearance to my PS box. Also, they hang down less than an inch below the front subframe. Overall, im satified, and they were among the cheapest coated headers available. I can't attest to how they will hold up, but previous posts seem promising.

67 RS Convertible, 355ci, 650cfm, 5-speed, 12-bolt, 3.90 gears. 12.7 @ 110 mph
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

I would not recomend Hooker comps [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img] ..speedy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 12:51 PM
Tech Team

Angry

whatever you do don't get the flowtects. if you call summit and get an honest rep on the phone they will tell you that they have more returns with them than any other header. there is a reason the price is so cheap. if you are looking for something to last get the hooker supercomp ceramic coated. or if money is no object, spend the $650.00 or so on doug's or thorleys. two separate companies that use the same part numbers.
http://www.dougsheaders.com/application_guides/

69 396 SS<br />73 454 SS<br />2002 HD FATBOY
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 03, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile

Make sure you have the correct frame and engine mounts and I would recommend Hooker comps directly from www.jet-hot.com. Use '69 mounts from a 350SS if not sure what you need.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 03:35 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Exclamation

Don't get the flowtechs? What are the problems they have with them. I asked a few times when calling summit and never got a bad rap about them. Compairing tube thickness and header flange thickness with a headman shorty, they are the same. As far as fit goes, all I can comment on are the ones I installed. The fit seems par for the course, by having to dimple the tube for the steering box. I have seen this in many threads. Why are they so cheap? I have no clue, Like I said they are compairable to a headman and $40-$50 cheaper. Flowtech is owned by Holley, I belive Hooker is also. Could the difference here be the same as Chevy and GMC Trucks? GMC's always seem to cost a little bit more? Are they any better?

If shorty are what your looking for there are many ways to go. If price is no object get what you really want and go High Dollar. You will be satisfide with the product you get...........you better be for $500.00 or more. If your looking for an econo way to go I still stand by the flowtechs. Unless someone can enlighten us on a valid reason why they are junk I would keep them as a consideration. I have read post after post about header fitment about all brands so I know that can't the a stand alone reason for not liking them.

[ 03-31-2003, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: Joe Harrison ]

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 04:04 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

I'm considering headers for my car and am wondering if there will be clearance for the reverse light linkage that goes from the transmission to the steering column. I,ve noticed alot of four speed cars that the reverse lights don't work because headers have been installed and the linkage has been removed. Thanks
Doug

1969 Van Nuys RS Z/28. Protect-o-plate and chassis broadcast copy. Hugger Orange, original 711 interior, including carpet. Original drivetrain: DZ, M-20, 3:73 BO code peg leg. Flat hood, no spoilers.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech
Cameron

I have an $80 set of Dynomax headers installed on my 69. I had no clearance issues with the steering box (power steering) and none with the clutch linkage. The only issue that I had was with the oil filter. To correct that, I just had to go with a shorter oil filter.

Also, if you go with the Dynomax, uncoated headers, I would highly suggest that you remove the pain that comes on them and repaint with some Rustoleum high heat Grill paint. Its the only paint that I have ever personally seen that doesn't burn off.

49 Chevy 3100 Project
Acro Sport II Biplane
69 Camaro
400 Small Block
AutoGear M22 4 Speed
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 05:14 PM
Tech Team

Joe

I was not directing the flowtect coment at you, it is just my opinion that flowtech along with hedman and blackjack are the low end headers. they are great if you are on a budget and don't mind painting them every so often. just because they are now owned by holley doesn't mean they are not still being made by the minimum wage stiffs that always made them. im just saying that if you want performance and lasting good looks, spend the money. it will be worth it in the long run. if your spending big bucks on everything else on your car, why be cheap with the headers. maybe we just think different in socal.

69 396 SS<br />73 454 SS<br />2002 HD FATBOY
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Jaker:

I spent $650.00 on my last set of high $$$ headers when I was living in San Diego, so maybe it's a San Diego thing Lived in East County, Lakeside for since 83 moved to Arkansas in 2000. Your right I think they are the bottom of the line headers but lots of people run them. The set I had on my 68 in San Diego were Sanderson shorty headers for a big block. Nice stuff, but expensive. Kinda like housing in So-Cal

I took a look at your web page, that's a nice 69 you have. Takeing a guess here.........are you in the east county Santee/El Cajon area? Man I miss a big fat Carne Asada Burrito at 2:00AM after a night out partying

Joe [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode