You ever have days like this? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 03, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

I inadvertently loosened a screw-in rocker stud (#1 exhaust) while adjusting valve lash.

After running for a few minutes then shutting down because of the racket, I pulled the valve cover to see what the heck was up. The stud had pulled out of the head maybe a 1/2". Lots of coolant was seeping up through the rocker stud bore, and had contaminated the oil. When I pulled the stud, coolant really came out for a couple of minutes.

I know, I know, I have a problem. Besides the fact that the valve train was noisy, I could hear knocking (first I thought my timing was off but that wasn't it), my exhaust valve was probably getting the crap beat out of it, is it "normal" that the rocker stud bore be open to the coolant passages?

My first reaction is to change the oil, coat the studs with red Loctite and torque them all down properly (50 ft lbs)?, then re-install the lifters and re-adjust lash. After getting it running again, do a compression test to see if the valves or valve seating were affected. And hope that all is well.

Or should I pull the head(s) before causing further damage?

Sigh. I hope you all have a nice time at the All-Chevy show...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 03, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Everybody has days like that. The rocker studs do go into the water jackets in the heads no problem there.The noise was probably just the extra clearance between the rocker, valve tip and push rod. I would torque the studs set the valves and go for a drive.Change the oil to get the water out.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 03, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

I was hoping you might say that

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 03, 04:17 PM
Bill

Denis,
Loctite is not the best sealer in the world. I use Permatex White Teflon sealer on the ones I do. If they are torqued properly, they should not come loose.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 08:06 AM

Angry

I always put a daud of good old "Indianhead" shellac gasket cement on the studs just like I do all my head bolts and it's always worked great for me!!

I'm not too sure the old fashioned stuff isn't really Permatex #3 or something like that?? I would have to look the little shoe polish bottle over real close to see...

pdq67

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Denis

I cleaned the studs, used the Permatex white teflon thread sealant, and torqued to 50 ft lbs. Then I adjusted lash (set it cold to .026 intake and exhaust for the 346 30-30 cam w/ 1.5 rockers). Problem solved. Thanks, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode