Did I really buy an 8.5? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Picked up 2 10 bolt's today one is an 8.2 mono I know for sure. The other supposedly came out of a 74 Nova. It has 3/4 wrench size bolts on the ring gear, 5/16 wrench size bolt on the carrier to hold the pin. The overall width is correct and the spring perches are in the correct place. However, the axle tubes are smaller than the 8.2 (about 2 5/8 as opposed to 3" on the 8.2). Also the case itself just doesn't seem as beefy as the 8.2. Did I get a six banger rear if there was such a thing. The code on the axle tube is "6 FC 0 77".

P.S. I waded through about 200 post. I bet there was more but that's all the server would give me.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Sounds like you may have got a 7.5. Does it have the spring mounts like the Camaro rear end or does it have the eyes cast in the top for the 4 link suspention like the Chevelle rear ends?

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

The spring perches are just like a Camaro. No type of mounting points anywhere else. Don't see any evidence of welding or cutting.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Thanks Mr. BGH

Measured the opening on the inside edge of the case where the cover bolts on. It was 8", not much chance of an 8.5" ring gear living in there. I didn't know there was a 7.5 rear end in a Nova. Did go to this site http://www.novaresource.com/ and still didn't find those codes. Maybe someone else will benefit from this info. Oh well what's $50.00 bucks. (don't tell my wife).

------------------
Robert

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I would like to know more about this rear end. Can you pull an axle out of it and count the splines? If it is a 7.5 made before '90 it should have 26 splines, a 8.5 made before '90 has 28. Could it be a S-10 truck rear end instead of a Nova?

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Robert,

Did you check out the pictures of the different rearends at the Nova website? The pics aren't real good quality, but they do show the "ears" on the underside of the case. The 8.5's have big squared-off ears while the small rear has little curved ears. They did put the smaller rearends in the later 6 cly. Novas. Also, an S-10 rear is a couple inches narrower than a first gen Camaro.

Mark
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Mark,

It does have the curved ears on the bottom as well as the top. My guess it is out of a 6 cyl Nova. I saw the 3/4 bolts on the ring and the 5/16 on the carrier and thought I'd hit pay dirt.

BGH,

I'll check out the splines this weekend just for the heck of it. The guy swears it came out of a 74 Nova, I just wasn't smart enough to ask was it a V8.

Thanks Guys

------------------
Robert

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 04:01 PM
Senior Tech

The 6cyl had the same rear end in 74 I have one it is an 8.5. I think someone has tried to screw you

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

oger,

I suspect your right with your 74 Nova facts. I'm thinking at this point there was ignorance on both ends of this transaction. This was a young guy who probably had no idea of the history of the car and as far as he was concerned he was shooting straight. At least that's the way I'm looking at it. No harm, No foul.

Thanks

------------------
Robert

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

It looks like GM started putting the 7.5 in 6 cylinder cars in '76. I learn new stuff every day.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Okay then that makes sense because during the first phone call it was a 76 then after I made mention of 71-74, from that point on it was a 74. This young kid was given this rear end from his Uncle to sell for what ever he could get out of it (his words verbatim). I still don't think the kid was out to do me in, but maybe the old Uncle was not so honest.

Anyway, it should noted the a 7.5 does measure up in width and in mounts and does have the internal 3/4 ring and 5/16 carrier bolt heads but is not the real deal.

Again, we all learn.

------------------
Robert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode