header against floor board - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Question

Last year i replaced a cracked 327 with a 350 punched to a 355. I also replaced the engine mounts (not the towers). I replaced them with energy suspension mounts which are stronger than the OEM that i had in. The new mounts dimensions and hole positions were pretty identical to the OEM. At the time of installation it seemed like everything fit fine. Now I am having a problem with the right side header. It is right up against the floorboard. It makes the floorboard hot which blisters the paint, and burns the carpet. As I look at the exhaust underneath the right side it is 1-2 inches higher at the collector than the left side is. Is that normal? I have already bottomed the car out on speedbumps and curbs, but didn't think it did damage? I also looked for twisted or bent mounts or cross members and didn't notice anything odd. The headers don't look bent either. The headers i am using are the same ones from the 327 (hookers). The car is a '69 plain jane. The new motor is supposed to have 400 horse. Has anyone had this problem or similiar? Will new headers fix the problem? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech

The offset is normal - I think to clear the oil filter. Headers are a pain. It seems like they never fit perfectly. Any chance the tailshaft of your transmission is too high? Get a level guage and check the angle of the tranmsission output shaft and compare that to the differential input yoke. They should be about the same angle (+/- a degree or two.).

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 03:20 PM

Smile

There are three old and one newer rubber mount sets for our cars and I will bet you probably have the tall ones on it so hunt around and see if you can't find a set of short ones on, but beware that they are also wide and narrow at the towers as you call them so this may bite you too!!!

I've posted all the dimensions for all the years if you want to do a search in the archives..

pdq67

PS., towers = frame mounts.....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 03:40 PM

Thumbs up

had the same problem. cut the header flange and install a reducer to the hot pipe, you can now angle it to proper direction. Worked for me. Cheap and easy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 03, 10:48 PM
Senior Tech

is the engine sitting in there a bit crooked? sometimes, if you have slightly loose engine mounting bolts, the whole engine can rock a little bit if the holes in the mounts are slotted. if they are slotted, loosen up the bolts and jack the engine up ever so slightly with a floor jack under the oil pan more toward the low side and try to get it to rock a bit and drop down straight.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 11:17 AM

i got a 69 z with 355 and afr 195cc straight plug heads and quick ratio steering box,i just got off the phone with hedman headers and they told me they have nothing to fit my car because of the quick steering box,so i ask him again and he said we have NOTHING,then i said i had the afr heads and the guy laughed and said we have nothing,i just wanted to send the info what i got,good luck,im in the same boat
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

If the headers are the standard Hooker Competition headers the #8 tube routes too close to the firewall. I had a set on mine for 15 minutes before taking them off.

If it's the #8 tube that is causing you problems then the least expensive way to cure the problem would be to have the tube re-routed. Study how a new tube could be fabricated/routed to clear the firewall and have a local muffler shop re-route and weld in a new tube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 04:37 PM

Angry

Don't know if this will work or not. If you have the use of a lift, drive the car to put some heat in the header. Put the car on the lift and raise it. Then take a long pipe a little less in diameter than the header and try to bend the header down enough that the flange will clear the floorboard. I,ve never tried this but have heard talk about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode