sbc stroker eng. assembly - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Question

I am currently building a 434 sbc(street car with some strip use). I just got my block and rotating assy from machine shop.I paid for clearancing,boring,decking,balancing etc...

I can see where they clearanced the rods for the cam and also where the block was clearanced for rods and counterweights.

My question is what is the min. clearance? I have read .050"-.060". I have .040" between counter weights and pan rail/webbing area in some spots.Also have min. .040 between rod bolt heads and pan rail (I have the eagle 4340 h-beams with the larger 1/2" bolt heads, L19 option)

Between rod and cam lobes I have .042" min on one rod. .044"-.055" on three rods and the other four are all ok.I did not degree the cam for this ,just dot to dot on chain(my buddy has my degree wheel,I will degree and recheck again)

Machine shop has a good reputation and builds a lot of performance motors( Lots of strokers 383's and 540's) But I don't think many are 4" stroked sbc's.

Any info appreciated, thanks in advance. Ray

Dart little M block steel caps (std. deck height and rails)
eagle 4340 4" crank,internal bal.)
eagle 6" h-beams w L19 bolts)
JE 4.155 flat top pistons
UDharold/Lunati solid billet roller small base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 02:23 AM
Bill

Ray,
We shoot for .050" but .040 should be fine. Just think about it ... if the rod or the crank moves even .020" you have more serious problems than you want, so .040 is more than enough.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Angry

Thanks BillK! Thats a big relief, didnt sleep too good last night LOL. I guess i'm kinda picky especially when the parts cost so much, Wanna do it right the first time.

In fact I purchased two set of cam bearings LOL. First cheap set to do mock up and clearancing, second premium set installed after all machine work and thorough block cleaning.My buddies think i'm a dork for doing that but I have a lot invested.

BillK I see you own a machine shop,I have another question if you dont mind.

With std. clev 77-h bearings I get .0015" on mains 1-4 and .002 on rear. I ordered extra clearance bearings that should give me .001" more clearance so I should have .0025" on 1-4 and .003" on rear.

My question is should I leave the rear at .002" or .003"

Thanks, Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode