Oil Leak - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Hi All,
Does anyone know if the 2 bolt holes in the front of a 350 block go to an oil passage, the holes are on the front of the block by the fuel pump, below the alternator.. I have an oil leak that does not show up until you drive the car on the highway.. It can idle all day and not a drop, The engine gets real wet around the fuel pump and I cant find this leak, I have checked front seal and everything I can think of.. Anyone know about these holes please let me know.. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 06:23 PM
Bill

Bad,
Yes one of them does but ... make sure the bolt you put in it is very short, no more than 1/2" long. The hole goes into the passage that the fuel pump pushrod goes through and if you put too long of a bolt in it will make a mess

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech

Put a little sealer on the threads too.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I thought that might be my problem..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 09:41 PM
Senior Tech

A bit of trivia on that leaky hole on the front of the block by the fuel pump. The factory actually put it there for a purpose....other than to get on your nerves. [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img]
If there is ever a need to change the fuel pump, the short bolt that plugs it from the factory is removed, and a longer one is threaded in until it makes contact with the fuel pump push rod. You can then R&R the fuel pump without having to do any slight of hand ot keep the push rod in place.
Once the fuel pump is on, the shorty is swapped back in place for the longy and you're done. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 04, 06:28 AM

What size bolt should be there?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 04, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Thumbs up

Three-eights inch diameter, 16 threads per inch National Coarse, 3/4 inch long hex head bolt.

When changing fuel pump on the side of the road, and you have no bolt in toolbox, use the pass side bottom water pump bolt for locking the pump rod. Finger tight, then do the swapout, replace bolts.

I'll probably catch alot of flack on this choice of bolt, but, if I remember correctly, no coolant came out. Maybe I didn't have coolant in it at the time..........so long ago.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 04, 01:36 AM

My '69 350 has a bolt in the top hole, but not in the bottom one. Is this correct?

Thanks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 04, 04:15 AM
a67

Quote:
Originally posted by 69SSConvertible:
My '69 350 has a bolt in the top hole, but not in the bottom one. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Yes.

Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode