Convert a carburated 327 to fuelinjection??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Convert a carburated 327 to fuelinjection.

Is it possible to go to a junkyrad and buy a fuelinjection system from a newer car, like a 98 z28 camaro and then install that intake and the rest on, lets say, my camaro 68 with a 327cid?

Or is that a major job?

I think that edelbrock etc, fuelinjections are too expensive for what it is.

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">Camaro RS 68</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 02:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Magnus;

Haven't ever been to a "Junkyrad" yet but most of the parts that you need can be found there I'm sure.

Here is a past posts that discussed lots of the info you would need -
https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...=007147#000001

The list of parts required below came from this great site -
http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/faq/thirdgen.shtml
Parts you would need -
Q: What is needed to convert my engine to TPI fuel injection?
A: You'll need to find the following:
 TPI intake
 TPI plenum and runners
 Throttle body
 MAF sensor, intake hose, filter case
 Injectors (19 lb/hr for 305, 22 lb/hr for a 350)
 Oxygen sensor (if yours doesn't already have one)
 Knock sensor (if yours doesn't already have one)
 Intake air temp sensor (goes in plenum underside)
 EGR solenoid
 Coolant temperature sensor
 Cold start injector sensor
 Electronic Control Module (ECM or computer)
 Re-route EGR and charcoal canister ported vacuum as per TPI setup
 A/C bracket to TPI intake (upside-down U-shaped bracket)
The best (cheapest) way, is to find the parts through junkyards.

One last area of reading you will find great info on is -
http://www.lt1intake.com/swapping.htm

BTW - it will become obvious to you as you read the articles, but be aware that most of the 92 and later F.I units DO NOT have a hole or provisions for a standard Distributor. There is a link on the LT1 site to have them modified, but you may be better off starting with parts that are compatible with your distributor equiped engine. Crank triggered ignition systems are always an option though...
Also 87 and later intakes would require updated heads or machine work to bolt up.

Hope some of this helps you in your quest to change over to TPI.
Post back with questions and someone will answer them.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 02:52 PM

Magnus,

There have been a couple of posts about using the 93-97 LTI intake on an early model engine. in the performance section. Also, there is a guy that modifies the intake to accept a distributor and installs water outlets. Go to www.lt1intake.com and read up on it. It is something that can be done, but it might be more that you want to get into.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the info guys. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll have a look at it and see how much job it is, and if its worth it.

And if you never visited a junkyrad, then you really missed something

<a href="
target="_blank">Camaro RS 68</a>
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 08:41 PM

try to find a up to 91 vette tpi maf or speed density (mafs easier)...the intakes bolt pattern didnt change from old style heads (pre 86) like camaros did at 87 and newer plus the fuel lines off the fuel rail are on the passenger side opposed to the oposite of the camaros...bolts right up

67 camaro w/89 vette tpi - and wouldnt have it no other way
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 02:52 PM

Interesting thread, I would love to hear a report of how an old 327 would respond to fuel injection. Sounds like A LOT of work though.

Gunny - your running a 89 TPI intake from a Corvette on your 68 small block? - cool!

I bet throttle response would be excellent if you can get the thing right. Also, I wonder how TPI F.I. would respond to cams like the Crane 266 "fireball" or a Comp 268,etc.

Mark P.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 07:22 PM

yepper running a 327 fi and aint complaining drppoed right on there -no sweat- didnt have to any hacking or nuttin just a tap into the coil hot ..i think you need a def'er knock sensor for giant cams... whats great with the maf system if you get it set at wot you got it all ....speed density is tricky and doesnt like big cams plus needs the chip bured a couple of times just to get in the ball park ....man i cant figure out how to post a pic my url is a mile long using win xp..ill try again though if dont work someone gimme some pointers please on putting pics on here
[IMG]Document and Settings\Tim Martison.HOME.PFXFODODWN\Desktop\23[/IMG]

[ 08-07-2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: gunny ]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 07:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally posted by gunny:
yepper running a 327 fi and aint complaining drppoed right on there -no sweat- didnt have to any hacking or nuttin just a tap into the coil hot ..i think you need a def'er knock sensor for giant cams... whats great with the maf system if you get it set at wot you got it all ....speed density is tricky and doesnt like big cams plus needs the chip bured a couple of times just to get in the ball park ....man i cant figure out how to post a pic my url is a mile long using win xp..ill try again though if dont work someone gimme some pointers please on putting pics on here
[IMG]Document and Settings\Tim Martison.HOME.PFXFODODWN\Desktop\23[/IMG]
Gunny, you have to have the pics hosted on the internet somewhere, they can't be linked from your computer. Most of the internet providers allow you some pic storage.

Jody

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 08:13 PM

ok lemme set up a webshots or yahoo pics or something and give it a whirl..thanks
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 08:41 PM

sweet stable of ponies you got going camcojb...im checking to see if this works if it dont [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] well it acts like it wants to work ok ive got it fingered out...[img] http://photos.yahoo.com/timmartison [/img]
[IMG]

[ 08-10-2003, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: gunny ]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 05:25 AM

Hey all,

The concept of a FI'ed 1st gen small block sounds very cool to me, I'm still wondering if the benefits of FI exceed the power and simplicity of a good ole' E-Brock Performer intake and 4 bbl carb. To me, FI would not be worthwhile if I could make the same or better power from a high rise\4bbl setup.

Can DD2k simulate TPI FI ? It would be interesting to see a typical mild High Perf. 350 compared "apples to apples" between the TPI and a Performer/600 cfm 4bbl. setup. If someone is willing to do it, try running a comparison on the following:

Standard 350cu.in.
9.0:1 compression.
standard 882 casting heads
E-brock "performer" cam 204/[email protected]
1&5/8" long tube headers
1 run with "performer" intake & 600cfm 4bbl.
1 run with stock GM TPI FI setup.

I'm curious to see how that comparison would turn out.

Mark P.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 06:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Gunny: It's telling me "this album is empty"?

Granny:
If you are looking for an easy to install, easy to maintain, efficient, reliable, relatively cheap system to retrofit (if you go search for most the parts you need at a 'junkyrad' ) and just plain ol' inpressive system to show-off when you pop the hood (or tip up the boat cover in my case) then go with the TPI set-up!
If it comes down to all out HP - then I would recommend a Carb/Intake set-up.
You can make some fantastic HP numbers with some of the new FI systems - if you are computer savy and willing to spend some money for all the mod.s necessary to get some of the new FI set-ups (like the Ls1 and Ls5's built by Rippie,Lingenfelter & Callaway) then these engines will match up to all but the top carbed engines around. I have a friend looking into the ACCEL SuperRam system for a BB right now - their numbers if true look inpessive.
The good old carbureted engine ain't going away for a while yet, but polished-up runners and plenum on a trick TPI set-up just look right under a lot of hoods.
JMHO

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 01:09 PM

hmm..... i can click to the pics from the link .....try it again ill move them to another folder ....stupid computers...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 01:38 PM
Senior Tech
Virgil

Magnus,
Have you though about one of the stand alone systems for fuel injection (ie Pro Jection)? It basically replaces a 4bbl carb.

Virgil
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 02:03 PM

in my area i have never seen a tpi in the salvage yard yet from the day they started making them but a lot of sensors are interchangable from alot of different cars check out www.chevythunder.com he tells it all from pinouts to cams pretty good webpage a must for the novice tpi builder..the tpi will pull in about 700cfm -comparable to almost any 4 barrel...id like to see a dyno comparising of the two sigle plane and dual plane for the carb ...wonder where i could find such info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode