Distributor help.... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Hello all,

I am making progress on my intake manifold & carb. upgrade and had a question about re-installing the distributor...

Before pulling the dist., I marked the spot where the rotor bug was pointing and made a mark on the back of the dist. and the firewall for reference.

I dropped the dist. back in and the closest I could get it was about 1/2" to the left of the original rotor bug mark on the front of the dist.
(I had to mess with the oil pump drive rod to get that...)

The motor was never turned over after the dist. was pulled...shouldn't it match up exactly?

Thanks,
-Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 01:45 PM
Tech Team

Hi yes it should match up but if you noticed when you removed the distributor it turned as it was coming out? When you drop it back in it should be dropped in with pointer off just a little so that when it is all the way in it turns to the previous location you marked and since you only referenced the pointer and not the dist. housing also you will probaly need to re-time it also.

67 Camaro Convertible<br />80 Camaro RS<br />2005 XL Sportster Custom<br />86 Scottsdale<br />97 Silverado stolen <a href="http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hogman/" target="_blank">http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hogman/</a>
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 03:01 PM
Bill

Mark,
Sometimes it takes a few trys to get it back exactly, but you should be able to do it if you didn't move anything. Keep playing with the oil pump drive till you get it right.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BillK,

This is my first time to pull the dist.,so I'll keep workin' the oil pump drive rod around until I get it back in the right spot.

-Mark
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech

And FWIW, it really doesn't matter where #1 points so long as you can adjust the timing. Often times, if you don't put #1 in the general alignment with cylinder #1 the vacuum can will hit the intake manifold making it impossible to set the timing. I only say this so you don't worry too much about the alignment. I think HogMan hit the nail on the head. The distributor will rotate as you pull it out. When you put it in you have to offset the alignment (counter clockwise about 1/2" on the rotor tip I believe) and it will drop right into place with your mark.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 05, 08:25 PM
Senior Tech
Al

As an FYI - the slot on the top of the oil pump drive shaft is in the same line as the contact on the rotor. Before pulling the dist, I mark the base of the dist and the intake manifold with a sharpie - a small mark will do - and then turn the engine over until the rotor is either pointing straight ahead or straight behind. Makes getting the timing close on re-install very easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 05, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
I've gotten in the habit of taking a couple of pictures with a digital camera before pulling the distributor out. You can always delete them if you don't need 'em...

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 05, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech
SS

what about bringing it up on tdc comp stroke # 1 at about 10-12* BTDC. Mark on the cap and distributor the corresponding place where #1 is drop the distributor in align the rotor with the point marked on the distributor and you will already be timed within a degree or two. It is nice not to chase the timing or backfire etc. Just another way to do it, without much hassle other than pulling the plugs and turning it over. SS

406, TKO 600 and 12 bolt posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode