She dies abruptly at idle...mixture/timing/bad q-jet? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

My car was running, although not very well. I was blowing oil out the pipes, I had a horrible vacuum leak, and the plugs were fouled up with deposits after only 3,000 miles. I had replaced my intake several months before, and the gasket had slipped.

Yesterday I took the manifold off, cleaned everything well, & put it back on. I feel confident that my vacuum & oil leak are taking care of. I made sure I put the distributor back on as it was, and I replaced all the plugs...and made sure the wires were right.

I had a little trouble getting the timing right to crank...I had a few backfires through my q-jet (flames & all), so I pulled the distributor again, and reset (TDC, #1) and adjusted it between #8 & #1 when TDC before I could get it to crank giving it gas (revved). It won't stay cranked, though. When I let off the gas, she shuts down with a whirr. I thought it might have been the mixture screws since I had a vacuum leak & they were let out a lot. I screwed them all the way in, and let them out two turns. No Dice.

Any ideas to get her cranked? I can't even check the timing. Could my q-jet be hosed since I backfired? I'm a little worried about my timing chain because of the slight whirrring noise at shutdown (that's all I could find referenced in the archives), although it was fine before yesterday...I think my imagination is running better than the Camaro.

Thanks for all of your help, guys!
Scott

[ 04-24-2004, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Scott Reeves HSV ]

1982 Camaro, 305, 4bbl Q-Jet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 04, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Nevermind. My wife has threatened me with life if I don't 'send the Camaro somewhere.' I guess I've been spending too much time with it. I'm having her towed (the car, not the wife). I'll let y'all know where I wind up.

Catch 22--sleep on the couch & drive in peace, or write the big check...and drive in peace.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

There is where a flimsy carb gasket will get you. A new GM gasket (Mr. Gasket's thin garbage was a major vacuum leak), timing & carb adjsutments & we're on the road again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode