Speedometer Cable Breaking - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 02, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

I have a Muncie four speed in my car and the speedometer has never worked for more than a few miles. After I searched the archives, I have figured out that the correct tailhousing has the speedometer cable output on the passenger's side. My transmission has the speedometer cable output on the driver's side. This makes it difficult to even install the cable because of the shifter rods. The cable has to make such an abrupt turn after leaving the transmission that it breaks after a little use. Is there a 90 degree adapter available that is 1:1 ratio that I could use to keep the cable from turning so abruptly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 02, 02:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Have you tried a longer cable and routed it with a wider radius out of the tranny? Just thought I would ask. good luck Mike
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 02, 04:10 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Adapters are available, but run $75+. Try a local speedometer shop, or call North Hollywood Speedometer and Clock (818 area code).

A longer cable may be the ticket.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 02, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

The cable is plenty long enough, there just isn't enough room between the tranny and the tunnel sides to get a big enough radius.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 02, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

It should work. The manual 3-speed tranny had the speedo output on the driver's side in roughly the same place.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 02, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

I guess that I will try it again with a new cable. I think that I will try a full length cable this time rather than the two piece that I have now.

I wonder why GM would put the speedometer cable output on the driver's side of a manual transmission where it would interfere with the shift linkage. That doesn't make any sense to me.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 02, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech
Big daddy

Cameron,I have that same problem,it's real tight there(early muncie)but mine works fine,just make sure cable is long enough and that it goes in staight.

------------------
67ssclone 327 4spd 410
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 02, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

If I remember right, the 3-speed cable is pretty long. It comes out of the cowl, runs along the subframe and then makes a big loop toward the outside of the car so that it enters the tranny straight on. Which hole are you using in the cowl? If you are using the Muncie hole, you may want to change to the 3-speed hole. The cable routing is different and may help with your problem.

I believe (but am not sure) that all Camaro bodies were manufactured with the base 3-speed hole. Muncie cars got an extra hole. The 3-speed hole is located below the steering column to the left. You can see the location in the assembly manual.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 02, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Cameron

My car was an original floor shift, manual transmission car. I don't know if it was a Muncie car or not. The only reason that I know it was a manual car, is because the clutch switch is under the dash and the wiring for it is there. Based on your description, I think that the cable is already routed to the three speed hole. I am going to try buying a three speed cable and installing it this weekend. There is a two piece cable on there now that someone has rigged in place. I'll let you all know what happens.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 02, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Cameron,

A speedometer shop can make any lenght cable, with whatever ends you want on it, usually for less money than the repro sources. This way you can route the cable the way you want to instead of the way the cable dictates.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode