Eagle balanced 383 stroker kit won't work in an LT1? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i was flipping thru my new Jeg's catalog- formulating a wish list for my LT1 build this winter- and noticed the Eagle balanced 383 stroker setup for a late model 1 piece rear seal block, but there is a little * next to it that leads you to a footnote that says that it won't work with an LT1.
i can't help but wonder why it won't work? the LT1 uses the same crank, rods, and pistons as any one piece rear seal 350 block, so it should work.
or do they also sell an "LT1 only" kit for a few hundred $$$ more that they want to try to sell you?

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech

Could have to do with the flywheels. LT1-T56s use a funky pull off clutch. If its auto, I can think of no reason why a balanced one-piece kit would not work in a LT1.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 04:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Or possibly a balance issue due to the LT1 not using a standard balancer up front.Seems like it could be fixed with a re-balance though. My Callies crank for my 383 LT1 is not LT1 specific.

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

the LT1 does have a standard balancer up front- it just has a serp belt groove machined into it. but i guess it could be because it is balanced with a regular balancer on it, but any good balance job won't touch the flywheel or balancer.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 10:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally posted by novaderrik:
the LT1 does have a standard balancer up front- it just has a serp belt groove machined into it. but i guess it could be because it is balanced with a regular balancer on it, but any good balance job won't touch the flywheel or balancer.
Mine sure doesn't. I guess if you put the two pieces together it looks similar, other than the serpentine pulley part. But it has just a little stub.

I was guessing on why it's listed as different, I have no idea. I do know that EVERY balance job I've had done has wanted the balancer along with the other parts.

Jody

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 04, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

The one piece crank flywheels are not neutral balance like the two piece ones.This must be taken into account when balancing the later engines.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yeah, you need A balancer and A flywheel or flexplate when balancing, but if you have to grind on either of them to get it to balance, you have other issues- at least that's the way my machinist explained it to me when i got my 355 all machined up 4 years ago. since i put the engine together and installed it in the Nova, i swapped from an auto with the flexplate that was used for the balance job to a 4 speed with a brand new GM flywheel, and it doesn't vibrate all the way up to 7200 rpm. that flexplate ended up in my 92 Caprice cop car when it's stock flexplate broke, and is now in my 88 S10 with that very same Caprice TBI 350- and it doesn't vibrate on that engine.
maybe i might get the Eagle 383 kit and a brand new LT1 balancer, and get the balance checked out locally- which is probably a good idea, anyways, given the care that some people put into mass produced items these days...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 04, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech

Could be the position of the cam-shaft. Is an LT1 camshaft the same distance away from the crank as a standard small block?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode