are 327 motor mounts the same as 4oo - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the mounts are all the same for the 327,350 and 400...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 01:11 AM
Tech Team

The placement on the motors should be the same, but the actual mounts are different, at least on the 400. I had to purchase new mounts for my 400 the origional were too big to fit in my 68.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, so are you saying that the attachment points and holes on the block are identical?...

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

327 and 350 frame mounts on a first gen. are different. They position motor differently and can cause header or distributor clearance issues.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock, hooker, ultradyne,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 11:34 AM
Tech Team

What is the affect of using solid engine mounts vs. non-solid?

I'm having the same problems...
I don't see what the difference is though?
350 - 327 basically the same except for different pistons and crank???
How does this affect the mounts?
I HAD a 327 block now I have a 350 in my car, should I buy 327 mounts?
Thanks,
Jeff
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 11:48 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
A 400 never came in a camaro so if you're doing a transplant you won't find mounts for a 400... As mentioned above there are different frame mounts in a 1st gen for Z/28's/SS' and more std SBC'c 307/327 and of course the bigblock.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

The only reason they did this (that I can see) a 350 or the 302 had an 8" balancer that would not clear the stabilizer bar in the 327 (6" balancer) position. (This is only a theory.) I have a 327 with 350 mounts and my Hooker headers fit great. My firewall had to be dented to clear my HEI. I did have to shim down my 1" stabilizer bar when equipped with my 8" balancer. My stock stabilizer bar cleared my 8" balancer.

------------------
"461" camel back heads,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 06:23 PM
hideaway

i,am not having troubles with the balancer hitting,but i have very little, i mean very little clearance at the firewall, i,am going with a 350 in a 69 and i can,t get the bellhousing bolt out on the left front the second one from the bottom,unless i creep the motor foward as i am slowly pulling the motor out is this normal, or does anyone know which frame mount actually sets a small block to the front more than any of the others, by the way i am running a stock dist and don,t have trouble with it hitting??
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

I belive the 327 frame mounts will move your motor slightly forward, but you are asking for header clearance and possible balancer issues. You should be able to get the bolts out using an open end wrench on the top ones and from underneath the car on the others. I know those can be a pain, but don't cause yourself other headaches by moving your motor !

------------------
"461" camel back heads,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 10:57 PM
Senior Tech

No mount is going to move the motor forward or backwards any. Think about it...all smallblocks use the exact same mount points...if you moved the engine forward then there would be a gap between the engine and tranny. The only differences in similar style motor mounts will be verticle distance (and the differences are small), and possible some side to side differences (again, very small differences).
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 12:17 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

exactly what i was thinking, travis. all sbc's motor mount bosses are in the same location, except for old ones w/o side bosses, of course. my '68 had a 327 originally, had a 350, and now a 400, (406), and the mounts were all the same, no clearance problems or changes, no balancer interference, no problem.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 06:28 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
There is indeed differences in the engine position front to back depending on which frame mounts you use. My 383 (350 block) sets right against the firewall and I have to use a fan spacer 1 1/2 - 2" to put the fan in the shroud. My buddys 307 has the space back at the firewall and his fan is in the shroud without a spacer. Same water pumps ect.

The tranny bolts to the engine then to the cross member. Obvously if you move the engine forward or back the tranny has to move as well.

Ground Up catalog shows one part number for '67-'69 and a different one for '69 Z/28. D&R shows one for'67-'69 and a different one for '69 Z/28 & 350.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 06:53 AM
Tech Team

I agree with the other's I don't see how the location of the block changes? I had a 327 now replaced with a 350 block.
My question is what is the height from the base to the center of the bolt hole?
This is for a 69 camaro.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Thanks Dennis for agreeing with me. Some peopla must have closed minds. The transmision crossmember is slotted and your driveshaft has a slip joint to make up for these small differences in location. Explain to me why some people have to modify their firewalls to install an HEI and some don't? Why does one pair of headers hit the steering box on one car and clear on others? Why does a balancer hit a stock stabilizer but clear on others? Simple... different frame mounts.

------------------
"461" camel back heads,
TRW etc.
700R4 TPI transmission
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 02, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech

Its not that I have a closed mind...far from it (I dont know where that came from), but the slots in a tranny crossmember are quite small...with a bolt in there you have less than 1/2" or so fore/aft movement at the most. I would bet money this is just to take into account production tolerances. A lot of tranny crossmembers out there arent slotted at all. And any chevy frame (car or truck) I have ever worked with only had, at the most, 2 sets of holes...1 for the th350 and sometimes they have holes to move the x-memeber back for a th400. But not all cars have these. I would bet that the difference between the '67-'69 mounts and the '69 Z mounts is to raise the height of the motor somewhat for cleareance between the larger balancer and/or a sway bar. Now, a lot of engine mounts can be physically moved forward several inches as many frames have numerous holes to reposition the mounts. My old '69 chevy truck had 3 positions that the frame mounts could be mounted in (who knows why???). My '78 nova is the same way...I can move the frame mounts forward by about 1.5" on both sides but there is no way to make up that difference at the tranny. My guess is that this is some kind of universal setup from the factory for use with several makes or types of engines (I know that is the case with my novas). On my '78, small block chevy frame mounts can be fitted in 2 positions (dont ask me how I figured this out ), and it will also accomodate olds and pontiac V-8's, and buick V-6's.
Ok, I am rambling now. I could be wrong here but this is my experience with these things.

[This message has been edited by travis (edited 04-07-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode