th-350 to th-400 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 01, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

I plan on going to a TH400 in my camaro its an 80 do I have to change the drive shaft and/or the crossmember for the tranny to fit.
it currently has a TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 01, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech

Yes. Is there a reason to go to the 400 they use a bunch more horspower and if you get a 350 that has been built correctly it will work fine.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 01, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with oger. Why are you changing? The 350 can take alot of abuse, it's lighter and takes less horsepower.
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 01, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

this is the second time the tranny has gone out on me and I plan on pushing around 550 horse with a supercharger by next summer if things go the way I want
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 01, 05:35 AM
Senior Tech

You will need a T-400 driveshaft yolk (It's bigger than the T-350). The transmission mount is farther back on the T-400 so you will need a T-400 crossmember or you can modify your existing one. Your driveshaft will probably have to be shortened as well. The T-400 also uses an electric downshift switch if you plan on hooking it up.
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 01, 10:27 PM
Senior Tech

Why not just go with a built 700r4 or 200. You get an overdrive gear with these. You might want to look into a temp gauge for the tranny could be it gets too hot and needs a better cooler.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 01, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

a couple friends of mine went the 700 route and all they did was tear them up. I had thought about it but then again I really dont want to keep blowing another transmission up
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 01, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech

You will have to shorten the driveshaft {make sure you get the short tailshaft trans} The 400 is really a strong trans if you change the second gear sprag. You are putting a blower on it so you will have to go to a manual valve body.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 01, 07:08 PM

well i have a 79 camaro and just so happens we done the same thing . yeh u will need a different yoke and also move crossmember farther back we also had to have my drive shaft shortened 3/4 of an inch that was 61 dollars , but about the mount im not real sure because my turbo 400 had a shorter shaft than most turbo 400s and about the horse power loss i would rather run a couple tenths slower than replace a tranny every year cause a turbo 350 cant handle it good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode