Hey bigearhead - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 02, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

I am looking at a junk yard rear end, and need a little advice..

I am trying to find and 8.5 inch nova rear for my 68 Camaro, but I am having no luck. I have called 10-15 yards with no success. I finally found what I think to be a possibility, again I am not sure. It has the exact same measurement backing plate to backing plate as my Camaro. The sping perches look the same as my Camaro, but they are about 1-2 inches farther apart. It has the big square lugs on the bottom of the housing as well.

I realize that the perches can be moved inward, so that is not a big deal. If I take the cover off of the back what do I look for? I know the pinion nut will be 1-1/4 if it is a 8.5", but is there anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 02, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

The ring gear bolts will be 7/16" with 3/4" heads and left hand threads. I can e-mail a picture of a 8.5 posi if you need to see what it looks like. I was discussing the space between the spring pads with someone the other day and I was pretty sure that the later '70s Nova had them spaced farther apart, but they said they were the same as the first gen Camaro. I think you may have answered the question. You can get new spring pads from Moser Engineering for about $60.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 02, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Thanks

I heard that in 75 the Nova perches went to the same spacing as the 70's Camaro/Firebird. Do you think I really need new pads? I am building a street car (350-400 hp). I am currntly swapping in the 1.5" lowered hotchkis springs.

The particular rear I am looking it is not a posi. Am I correct in assuming that any posi froma 70's Z-28/T-A will work? Every one on this board seems to favor the 79-80 versions for some reason.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 02, 04:50 PM

Bummer, we just scrapped a good 10 bolt 8.5 that was taking up space. I tried to convince my dad to keep it but its a gonner, he doesnt know how good they are I guess
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 02, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Yes, the posi from a Camaro or Firebird 8.5 will work. Be sure to get a 3 series and not the 2 series. Look for casting number 410408 on the posi case(not 410409). Cutting the spring perches off usually messes them up and new ones are the easiest way to go. I wouldn't try running them where they are.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 02, 06:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I picked up a rear housing from a 75 Nova a few weeks ago. I measured it from all angles. Every measurement is the same as my 68 except the spring perches are wider by about 1/4". The center to center measurements are the same so it should not be a problem bolting it in but the shock mount plates will have to be drilled out or I will have to get Nova mount plates. I'm probably going to get new Camaro multileaf plates since my old ones are mono and then drill those out. The ones that were on the nova were not worth using.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 02, 09:13 AM
BC

Brad,
I have a '73 Nova rearend sitting in the garage for sale... it is all stripped down and ready to go! If you need me to measure something, just let me know.

Sounds like you might be looking at a rear end from a 70 or later Camaro or TA, as they did have the spring perches about 1 1/2" wider on each side.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
Colorado Springs, CO

68 Camaro... someday!
71 Chevelle SS
70 Nova
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 02, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I agree with Bill. You could very well be looking at a Camaro 8.5 which started I believe in 71. I know 70's had the 8.2, the Camaro 8.5 should be I think 3/4" wider (not sure on that) I know they are wider though.

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 385ci
69 Camaro (soon to be 6" rod 355 backed by a T56)
2000 GMC Z71

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaroman7d/
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 02, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

If this is a second gen Camaro rear end it will be 1 inch wider than the Nova or first gen Camaro rear end.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 02, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

After reading all the talk on this board, I was expecting to have my pick of Nova rears. No such luck. I can't find anything in this part of the country. I found 1 in Arkansas, but the guy wants $250 for shipping and the rear end.

Backing plate to backing plate was the same. I forget the exact number. I will have to go back to the yard and get more exact numbers.

Could the rear be from an Apollo, or Ventura maybe?

Does the 3 series carrier allow for a lower gear (numerically higher)?

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3

[This message has been edited by Brad74 (edited 08-26-2002).]
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 02, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

The Apalo, Ventura and Omega are all the same as the Nova. The 3 series posi takes all gears from 2.73 to 5.56. The 2 series is for 2.56 and 2.43 gears.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 02, 06:56 PM
BC

Dang, $250 for the rear end? That's pretty high! I'll sell you mine for $75 plus shipping for the bare rearend!

When I checked on it before, it looked like shipping would cost between $50 and $70 depending on where in the country you live.

SO for $150, it's to your door!

Bill C.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 02, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

What do you mean by "bare"?

You may have a deal.

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 02, 05:21 PM
BC

By bare, I mean I have taken everything off of it to reduce weight! That includes the axles, backing plates, brake lines, carrier, gear set, yoke, etc. The only thing I left on was the cover and the bearing caps inside. Of course those things can be added back on, but shipping charges then go up!

I don't have a posi unit for it, someone already bought that and the gear set I have is a mis-matched 2.73 ratio, so not really any good. One axle is good, one has some slight pitting where the bearing rides. Id recommend a good set of aftermarket axles anyway.

Sorry if this got a little off track, I was basically offering to measure whatever is needed... or help any other way I could!

Let me know,
Bill C.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 02, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

You could take that housing and put a 30 spline Eaton posi and a set of 30 spline Moser axles in it and have a stout rear end. Everything inside would run about $1200. If you get it be sure the yoke is included. You can use the brakes off of your rear end.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode