What is the correct Oil pressure? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

I have a '67 RS with a rebuilt 350. I don't know anything more about the engine other than it dynos at 300 HP (according to the previous owner). My Oil pressure gage reads about 40 PSI at a stand still and gets up to 65 PSI at hwy speed. Is this normal? How do I know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

The general rule of thumb is 10psi per 1,000 RPM. Sounds to me like you are fine. What weight oil are you running? That makes a difference. Also the tempature of the oil will effect the pressure (hot oil lower pressure, cold oil higher pressure). From what you wrote you have "plenty" of oil pressure. Check the pressure after the car is nice and warm.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Thansk for the reply. I was more concerned as to weather or not this might be too much pressure. Is this likely? I will also check the pressure with an external gage to see if my after market in dash gages are correct.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

If the engine is fresh and/or they installed a high pressure pump, this could be why the pressure is so high. Before you get to carried away, what weight oil are you running? Are you listing warm or cold pressures? Both of these have a huge effect on oil pressure readings.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

I don't know what weight the current oil is as it was in the car when I bought it two weeks ago. I was planning on changing it anyway just to be safe. As far as Engine temp at time of Oil pressure reading, I have been taking readings after warming the engine. (20-30 minutes driving time.)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Before you worry about it I would suggest an oil chnage to see what you have after that. For all you know it could be 50wt in there. After an oil change and warm up you will have a baseline to work with. Make sure you change the filter too.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 01:52 PM
Senior Tech

Since this is a new car to you, when you change the filter look at the area where the filter screws on. There will be a pipe nipple hanging down that the filter screws on to. Just to one side should be a small circular area which holds the bypass valve. The bypass valve is a small spring loaded disk that lets oil bypass the filter should the filter become clogged. One trick that some guys do is to plug the bypass hole so it will not bypass the filter and allow dirty oil into the motor.

Your oil pressures are fine, but if your bypass valve has been disabled, don't get too radical with the motor until it warms up. Cold oil can raise your oil pressure to the point that the filter will rupture if you rap the motor up cold. If the bypass is in tact, I wouldn't worry about a thing.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll change out the oil this weekend and let you know what happens.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech

10 x 1000 rpm?
So there's gotta be a minimun...if I'm idling at 1000 rpm my gauge would be at 10 psi? And if I'm on the fwy at 3500 rpm it would be 35lbs? This can't be, there has to be a starting point, and then maybe you add 10x 1000? What do you estimate that starting point to be? I've always wondered about this.

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

10 lbs is still O.K. although I wouldn't really want to see it at 1000 rpms. Mine is 40-45 warm at 1000 rpms using 10w-40. A factory idiot light is set to come on around 7 lbs. pressure so that would probably be the dead zone.10 lbs. per 1000 rpm is just a good base line. It doesn't actually go up or down 10 at every 1000 on the money. I think anything below 20 lbs with 10w-40 at 1000 rpms is probably indicating loose tolerances on bearings. As far as the oil bypass, don't sweat it too much, it probably isn't blocked off on your motor. Mine is blocked on my 454 although most people warn against it. I would rather have the added protection on oil not bypassing my filter. I don't use my car in cold weather and I always let it warm up, no problems. I also run a high pressure pump and have had no problems. It is important to run the best quality and largest filter you can fit.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode