Planning to build a 406 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 05, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Tim

Hey everyone,

This is my first post to the forum although it has provided me with invaluable info for my 69 Camaro.
I plan on building a sbc 400 for my 69. It currently has a Tremec TKO tranny and 12 bolt Eaton posi with 3.31:1 gears. I'm looking to build a mean 406 that I can run on premium pump gas (91 octane in San Diego CA). It will mainly see action on weekends, not a daily driver, and probably see some track time, but mainly weekend cruising, so I'm looking for something that is somewhat streetable.

SBC 400 0.030 over
Around 10:1 static compression with flat top pistons
AFR 195 heads w/ 1.6:1 rockers
Comp Cams 12-212-2 Hyd Flat 280/280 Adv 230/230 @.050 110 LSA .480/.480 Lift

I plan on using my current
Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap intake
Hedman Hedders 1 3/4" to 3" collector out 2 1/2" Flowmasters
MSD 6AL ignition box & MSD Distributor

I'm not sure on the carb, 750cfm?

So, I was wondering if anyone had a similar setup and how they liked it.
Do I have enough gear; do I need to go 3.55 or 3.73?

Suggestions, comments, criticisms.

Thanks,

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 05, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech
SS

My set-up is real close however, I can not give you any feedback since I just got it going. But if you are running the tko 500 with 3.27 or 600 w/ 2.87 1st it should still accelerate fine, only thing is the overdrive will be huge with 3.31 rears. Maybe a little more cam with 10:1+, like the XS282S or something along those lines. I think a 406 would like a bigger cam but you might want to consider how it will run in 5th at 1950 rpm etc.I might go with 3.90 from 3.73 since I am rebuilding my 12 bolt. SS

406, TKO 600 and 12 bolt posi.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 05, 03:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I have the hedman 1 3/4" and the port size is just adequate for my ProTopline 180's. In fact I had to do some slight work with a die grinder to get the ports to match up. The hedman has what looks like 1 5/8" tubing at the flange which becomes 1 3/4" about 1/2 " out from the flange. You may have a mismatch with the AFR's.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 05, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Tim

Railing68, I have the 3.27 1st and 0.68 OD TKO, I'll take that under consideration, thanks.

RickD, I didn't realize that there were exhaust port matching issues with the AFRs, thanks for bringing that up, I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Tim
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 05, 11:42 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

The 210 exhaust ports are are a PITA to deal with. The 195's are significantly easier.

With that cam you should be able support a 3.31:1 gear. Try it first before spending any money. I'm looking hard at a low 3-series for my TKO/3.73 setup.

A 750 double pumper carb should work very well.

My engine is similar to your build. See my website for more details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 02:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Hey, Carl. Do you happen to have handy the port size for the fastburn or AFR195?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 12:02 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Tim, 3.55 or 3.73's I think would be your best bet due to the overdrive. I had 2.73's and 26"tall tires,and RPM's were about 2000ish @55-60mph. Traction was an issue even with the 2.73's, but 80mph in 1st gear @6 grand messin' with "ricers" on the hiway was fun too.

I think you'll like the 280H,slight lope and pulls from idle up past 6000.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 01:11 PM
Tech Team

Hi i am new here and really enjoy reading the post here you guys rock! Many years ago I assembled a 400 that was machined at a local speed shop that specialized in round track motors but it sure had power heres what it has: 400 bored .030 with TRW forged dome pistons for 5.7 longer rod cut-down to flat top pistons with 2 valve reliefs (6" rods may be the ultimate now). The only good thing here was the racing style oil holes being drilled (supposedly stronger than the slots). They fit the pistons to each individual bore along with file-fit plasma moly rings. Of course the rods/bolts had to be clearanced slightly.

The block was also a early 4-bolt main and they put screens in lifter valley holes plus installed a big block oil pump for the Canton 8qt custom pan (its like someone turned on a faucet on the Crane gold rockers. Also the block 0 decked so pistons came all way top of bore. The crank in this motor was a stock 400 but was balanced magnifluxed etc.

Additionally, I had some 441 (open chamber) chevy heads prepped w/oversize springs, true bronze guides, guideplates,3-angle valve job plus a little blending of pockets, teflon seals, big stainless valves, chambers cc'd to be exact (75cc) and I used head studs since they were reccomended plus the steam holes were drilled in heads.(Aluminum aftermarket is the way to go these days or possibly Vortek heads) in my opinion. I think i spent close to $1000.00 on these iron wonders.

This also had a small Crane cam approximately 280 duration (I am gonna go to a full roller set-up soon) It was degreed and they put in a cam button plus timing cover made for it. BTW this engine has 10:1 compression and runs well on 93 plus a little octane booster but aluminum heads can run higher ratios supposedly.
I also used a Holley 750 dp with Performer RPM manifold and bolted on a cool set of Doug Thorley tri-y headers and to keep it cool (runs 180deg. all day long) a Griffin 4-core radiator with a 7-blade G.M. clutch fan.
This is presently in my 1980 RS Camaro w/TH350 & 3:42 posi but this set-up is going in my 67 Camaro Convt. with a Muncie M20 soon with 8.5 rear with similar gearing.

But anyway this engine set-up is awesome and throttle response in the 80rs was phenominal perhaps its a good thing that I had traction problems because to hook that beast I really needed racing axles and a good traction device of some sort but i really dont wanna race just love the sound its o.k. to burn a little rubber every now and then.

Anyways I thought you might enjoy this info on another take on the 400 build-up.
heres a link to the engine builder http://www.hamnerracingengines.com/contact.htm

[ 02-12-2005, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Camaro&HogMan ]

67 Camaro Convertible<br />80 Camaro RS<br />2005 XL Sportster Custom<br />86 Scottsdale<br />97 Silverado stolen <a href="http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hogman/" target="_blank">http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hogman/</a>
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Rick,

I used to, but can't find it.

Here's some archive info https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum...c/9/11173.html

But, this does not jive with this post now in the Performance section https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat.../4/9807/2.html

Felpro has port dimensions as well. I've seen them in the PAW catalog, and likely on-line as well.

Al has Felpro 1407, I have 1470. I don't have a GMPP book with me to check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 02:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

GMPP states Felpro 1407 and may require trimming.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 03:31 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I think your combo is a sound one for 91 octane. Your compression ratio (assuming a zero decked block, 4.155 bore, .041" thick head gasket, 76cc heads, and -6cc flat top pistons) is 10.14:1 and your DCR (takes into account your cam timing) is 8.07:1 (perfect for 91 octane and aluminum heads IMO).

I'm not real sure about the rear end gear personally, I think it would be OK, but might lug the engine in OD at lower speeds. The nice thing about a manual though is you can just run it in whatever gear it likes . . .

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally posted by RickD:
GMPP states Felpro 1407 and may require trimming.
The GMPP catalog sys FelPro 1407. This site (and others) recommend FelPro 1470.

http://www.macmaster.on.ca/sbgm.htm

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 05, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech

Your cam is too small for a 400 and especially to get the full potential from those heads. Ever thought of going roller??
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 05, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Tim

I'm open to suggestions. What kind of hydraulic roller grind would you suggest and still be somewhat streetable?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode