Vacuum on distributor Problem. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

When im adjusting my timing/distributor, the vacuum cannister is hitting the intake.

So i wonder if it is possible to just "move" the cables one "click" counter clockwise and the rotate back the distr.cap so the cables ends up in the same position but the vacuum cannister is away from the intake?
I have drawn a picture from my mind:

This must be easeir that to pull up the whole thing and jump a teeth on the gear, or im i out and bicycling?

(and yes, i also have vacuum lying on the distributor, and i cant get it away from there, i've tried a vacuumcleaner, but it did't work)

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">Camaro RS 68</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 01:28 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Sure, No problem at all. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

Okey, thanks.

I thought it would be best to ask before, so there ain't some hidden "feature" in there that won't work after the swapping. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Oh!!

Forgot one other thing. That vacuum canister...

I pulled of the dist.cap and had a look at the canister to see if i could just move it a bit. And then i saw a flat rod thing that seemed to go into the canister on the rear of it. And i tried to push it in, but i could not move it at all. Or should it be that hard or even be able to move? If it is that it's stuck, then this could be my problem i have with the car. It runns good sometimes and mostly it runs like s**it. Im going to try to use a timing light again tomorrow and see if i can figure it out how it's working.(Im totally green on this kida stuff)

<a href="
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 03, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Red face

Uh... Problem No.1: your distributer turns clockwise. No.2: Your firing order should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Make sure - normally - your No. 1 cylinder should be at approx. 5 o'clock when viewed from the top. As far as changing all your wires, one position ... not a problem.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 03, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi

Yes the Rotor is turning clockwise, not the cable swap im going todo.
And the numbers on the distributor pic is just 1-8. And the rotor don't even care about the fireing order, it just rotates. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<a href="
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 03, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech

Number 1 generally points toward cylinder 1. In your drawing, number 1 is pointing straight forward. Generally it should point to where you have #2 labled. But beware that you're firing order is way off. TSJ has the right info. In general though, you can index the distributor any way you like so long as the timing and firing order are correct.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 03, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Regarding the drawing, the numbers are just there to mark the order to move/rotate them.

<a href="
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 03, 12:46 AM

regarding your vacuum 'canister'

if you hook up a vacuum pump to it, or just draw on the hose with your mouth as hard as you can, you should see that rod move. it is attached to a plate inside the distributer and turns it to advance the timing.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 03, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech

And when you release the suction, you should hear it click back into position.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

You can move the cables as the others said, but IMO the right way to do it would be to move the distributor. Just get the #1 piston up to TDC on the compression stroke (look at the timing marks on the dampener) then pick up the distributor and drop it back in with the rotor pointing toward the #1 cylinder. Then put your cables back on so #1 is at the 5:00 position (pointing towards the #1 cylinder). This should get your distributor vac advance can pointing to the right spot.

Just my opinion.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Eric.

And when i do that, it might be an idea to rotate it 180 degrees too. because my TDC mark is at the BDC mark on the timing tape.

Luckely i bought a timing light that is able to read the timing so i could verify that is was 180 degrees off. And thats why there was a mark marked with a black marker pen on the opposite side of the original damper mark. [img]smile.gif[/img]

To bad though, my timing tape was really expensive, $16.00, just a piece of sticker. Grrr.

And another thing. I dont have to relocate it for that reason it hitts the intake. Because when the vacuumcannister is against the intake, i have about 24 degrees timing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I guess thats too much of initial, now when my new vacuum is working.

<a href="
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Cool

Your tape may not be off. Make sure both valves are closed (on the compression stroke, on cylinder one.)when your harmonic balancer is at "0" or TDC. Your crankshaft will rotate twice for every one rotation of the cam and distributor. You may want to start over and install your dist. correctly to begin with. The vacuum advance can. shouldn't hit, if the dist. is in right.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 03, 06:58 PM
Team Member
John

Things are much simpler when the distributor is installed correctly; there are 13 teeth on the distributor drive gear, so having it installed one tooth off will move the can position 28 degrees in the wrong direction. Re-install it correctly and index the wires in the cap with the #1 wire in the next tower clockwise from the "window", and the can will be in the correct position. The vacuum advance (the "flat rod thing" you mentioned) PULLS on the breaker plate (towards the canister) when vacuum is applied to the canister.

When the distributor is out, make sure the "dimple" below the drive gear teeth points in the same direction as the rotor tip; if the gear is installed 180 degrees out (backwards), that will put the rotor 1/2-tooth out of phase, which will put the housing position another 14 degrees away from its correct location too. Lots of people don't know this (it isn't in any Chevy manual) and inadvertently install the gear backwards when they re-shim the shaft. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode