spun bearings - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

i bought a 454 bbc. someone correct me if im wrong but i think its a gen V or VI. it has no fuel pump provision. anyway, i bought the long block for $300.00. the guy said it was a spun bearing and when i took it apart, there were a couple of spun bearing. can someone tell me the causes of spun bearing? too tight? too loose? no oil pressure?

thanks
angel

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 03:41 PM

I have heard that you can get them from grit behind the bearing- not giving it enough bite on its backing. If you've got two doing it, maybe it is something else.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

i think the guy who rebuilt it just put in the wrong size bearings.

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

main or rod? could be a few things, if rebuilt, that just adds to the number.
also, another frequent cause of spun bearings is detonation. just have it all checked when it gets machined, and you'll be fine.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 07:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Did the bearings truely "spin" in the block, causing the locating tangs to be wiped off, or is the surface of the bearing abraided and scratched?

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

the block is in my shed right now but if i remember correcty, the tab on a couple of them are now flush.

angel

oh, and the guy said block was rebuilt by him. he didnt look too much like the maticulous(sp) or detailed kind of guy. he kind of looked like the kind of guy who would reuse plestigauge(sp).

angel

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 04, 08:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by angelglo:
he kind of looked like the kind of guy who would reuse plestigauge(sp).
It's not reuseable

Angel;
Hard to say exactly but if the bearings tabs have been wiped, then it's usually assembly issues (not enough clearance) or pre-lube failure on a new engine and lubrication (or lack of same) problems on older in service motors that lead to this.
Could be a very easy fix if the motor was fairly new and just put together crapy.
Tear it down and measure is the only way to see what needs to be done.
Block may need attention if engine was run very long in this condition.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 03:35 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally posted by angelglo:
he kind of looked like the kind of guy who would reuse plestigauge(sp).
Now that was funny

Spun bearings are usually caused by something being out of round, too tight, too loose, etc IMO. While lack of oil is often blamed, the root cause is usually clearances because you need proper clearance to get proper oiling.

Just my opinion.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 06:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Eric has a good point about the "out of round", that I failed to emphasis, but falls into the 'assembly issues' area.
Most machine shops can get things pretty round - it's the way the machine tools are designed to work normally. The parts really should have been machine right - but, '$hit occurs'. The problems should have found during pre-assembly checks.
According to bearing manufacturers, the majority of bearing failures are caused by installation issues. I worked on many "come-backs" during my wrench-twisting-days that were directly traced to grease,chips,dirt & etc. being trapped between the bearing shell and the block bore (or rod bore)causing the bearing crush to be wrong and the bearing to be deformed at assembly. This type of failure was way more common than the bearing size being wrong. Many of these types of problems will not show up with the standard 'plastic-gauge' checks, only good measurements and assembly technique can prevent them. If you see your machinist/engine builder useing only 'plastic-gauge' during his "blueprinting" of your block - grab everything and leave. IMHO of course.
Long way of saying the 'out of round' is probably on the bearing side of things, not the crank or block bores.
If, as Angel says, 'the guy threw the thing together' and didn't keep every thing clean the problems may be slight - but, only carefull attention to measurements will be able to tell. If that motor already needed rebuilding prior to you getting it - chances are it lead a hard life anyhow, them things aren't all that old yet.
Best of luck with the block - let us know what you find as you tear into it!

ps: Never ran into a problem with bearings being 'to loose' at install and causing a 'spun' bearing - just "hearing loss"

(sorry so long)

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

im going to be taking everything (block, rods, pistons) to baca's machine shop over here in south san francisco. they do all my machine work for all my motors. im just going ot have them check everything. i was just curious to see what kind of circumstances cause spun bearings. i actually never had that problem on any of the motors that i had put together. thanks for the responses guys.

angel

angel

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 01:38 PM
Senior Tech
Don

It's been my experience that it's often low oil level/ lack of maintenence.

In the 80's, I made a career of replacing Fiero engines with spun bearings/rods sticking out of holes in the block. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

[ 03-26-2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: ZZ430DropTop67RS ]

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 04, 05:04 AM
Senior Tech

Hey Don Just looked at your link, very nice 67!! and its the right color! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] .

Bud.

'67 RS/SS 350
'67 SS 350
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 04, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

Thanks Bud, it's a lot of fun.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode